Featured Antique Cabinet

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by DeAnne, Apr 21, 2018.

1. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

This found it way home with me today based on the french dovetails going to European. But that's about all I got. Does anyone recognize it? TIA

IMG_3036.JPG

IMG_3037.JPG IMG_3038.JPG

kyratango, Aquitaine and judy like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Oak, late Victorian. I think American circa 1910

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

BTW, this is not a French dovetail. Not sure if it has an exact name but some kind of modified dado joint.

Christmasjoy and gregsglass like this.
  4. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

French dovetail refers to a "sliding dovetail" but it looks the same in appearance to an english dovetail. It's used sometimes to hold down a table top for instance or blades between drawers.

sliding dovetail.jpg

pewter2, kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. James Conrad

Agree with Brad on your cabinet, golden age of oak, looks to be in very good condition, everything seems to be there including casters on feet.

6. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

And yes it's in beautiful condition just bad pictures

kyratango, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  8. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

I've seen this joint referred to as a lock-rabbet drawer joint. Came in during the late Victorian era and seen for many years. Implemented as to not have the need for any type of side dovetailing - speed up production. Have seen both lesser furniture and high quality pieces use this joint. Id also say yours is ca. 1910. . . nice condition.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. James Conrad

Interesting, I had not seen one before. After the industrial revolution (steam power) hit the US around 1850, furniture here was built largely by machines EXCEPT for the drawer boxes! The dovetails for drawer boxes were still cut by hand during this time. All kinds of different machines were invented to get around those pesky dovetail issues for drawer boxes. Probably the most famous was the Knapp joint, a cove & pin type of joint popular in late victorian drawer boxes.
    knapp.jpg

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  10. James Conrad

In 1900, machines were invented, developed & built to cut traditional dovetails, they finally figured it out and all these other forms/experiments in machine dovetails gradually died out.

Christmasjoy, pewter2 and kyratango like this.
  11. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

Okay another question, I know it sound silly but for the life of me I can't find another one anywhere similar to this so I have got to ask. What is it's purpose? One would assume it would just be a server or buffet, But the problem with that is the size the shelves on the side are to shallow for a plate. So I was thinking maybe Liquor? Also why would it take 2 different keys? I have one key for it but it only works for the doors an not the drawers.

12. James Conrad

Hmmmm, good questions! problem is i don't know! I am a furniture collector but very old furniture, 300 year old stuff mostly. I would post this again in the Furniture Forum rather than antique discussion where it is now. You likely will get more furniture peeps looking & posting who are more familiar with this style era.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  13. James Conrad

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted