Featured Antique Chair-Age?Should I reseat it?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by KimMk, Apr 5, 2020.

?

Should I replace the seat

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. KimMk

KimMk New Member

IMG_20200404_213056.jpg IMG_20200404_213052.jpg My neighbor put this on her curb when she was moving two days ago. I snagged it because I thought it was unique. Can anyone tell me anything about it? Is it a major no no to reseat it because the fabric is sagging alot in the middle. No seat support it seems. I started to remove old studs around the perimeter holding the seat fabric and found lacet the was rotting beneath the studs.

2. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Welcome Kim. Others will be along to help with your chair. Just wanted to say its beautiful and glad you rescued it.
    Mikey

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The things people toss!

Debora

4. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is beautiful, and I too am glad you rescued it. It looks late 19th century to me, with that ebonised finish, but I could be wrong. Tagging @Ghopper1924 .:)

6. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I would guess a bit earlier, i.e. ca. 1900-10. The needlepoint seat is nice and probably original. If you have enough of the seat to take it off and re-attached it after fixing the seat, then do that. If not. at least fix the seat so that you can continue to use it.

Not worth alot in today's depressed market, but lots of work went into this and I think it's quite attractive. Thanks for rescuing this; if you have the presence of mind, take more photos when you're done with the project and re-post.

7. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I agree that this chair does not look period, and was almost certainly made in the 20th century as a reproduction of early American furniture. If you are sure it is a reproduction, then there is no loss to remove and replace the seat. Making it comfortable is highest priority.

In style, this is an early 18th century William and Mary banister back armchair. Original period examples can be found in the Met and other museums. Similar were made in England and America; this one is closer to American in style.

8. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Revival chair, probably 20th century and YES! by all means pitch the seat and see what you have down there. You'll need to do that anyway to get a quote on a new one.

9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree with Ghopper on date. Styling is Spanish but just as likely American in origin. Probably part of a dining set. Not so sure the seat cover is original. Either way, no harm in reupholstering this.

10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

It's a Lovely chair! GO for it and make it comfortable!!! Please show us when you're finished!!!!????

James Conrad and Ghopper1924 like this.
  11. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Here's an American banister-back armchair from the early 1700's similar in style: https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/147

Strangely, period 1700's examples found in New England are not as unusual as one might think and I see them fairly often. One of the earliest American chairs you can find that is affordable. But not very comfortable, certainly not comfortable compared to a good old Windsor.

Armchairs and carved tops and unrestored feet are less often seen, which is why the one at the Met is better than most:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    Darkwing Manor and Ghopper1924 like this.
  12. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Try not to destroy the needlepoint as you remove it.
    You might be able to sell it, if you don't have it cleaned and reuse it.

13. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I agree SAVE THE NEEDLEPOINT!! I did 12 chairs in the 70s and all that needle work was really hard work. I worked on it while flying since I have amblyopia and could not read.
    greg

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  14. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Certainly save the needlepoint. I'll bet it came off a different chair. I'm sure you can sell it.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  15. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I also agree with removing the needlepoint,cleaning it and reinstalling it. I bet once its clean itll look amazing again.

16. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I don't think the wicker woven seat is original to that chair shown. You have a gorgeous, formal chair with a rather pedestrian seat treatment. The only reason I said the needlepoint may not have come with it is because in the photos you show it looks like it doesn't quite fit the chair. I'd like to see a closeup. I'm thinking this was the head chair at the table and there would be six more matching chairs with no arms. They would all either have stuffed seats with a plush or brocade material or they would all have needlepoint.

17. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Looks lovely. Great save!

I would also reupholster it.

Me personally, I don’t like wicker/rush seats. We have a number of vintage chairs like that, and no one sits in them because they are uncomfortable. You don’t want this to be unused in a corner somewhere.

Probably my first antique chair find was an ornately carved chair that likely had been part of a dining set. The upholstery was nasty and one of the finials was broken off, but it was super inexpensive. The dealer was able to get a local craftsman to replicate the wood finial. When I has it reupholstered, I was doing my living room drapes at the same time, and fell in love with an exquisite fabric that I had wanted to use for my drapes. It was was crazy expensive, so I couldn’t afford it for the drapes. Because I needed just a couple of yards for the chair at most, I had the upholsterer use it for the chair (because labor cost is essentially the same, regardless of the fabric cost), and also make a nice pillow with the extra fabric. That way, I enjoy the chair twice as much, because now it’s comfortable to sit in, and I enjoy the fine fabric.

So, to really give the chair some life, I suggest you pick a fabric that you’re absolutely in love with, and get some nice padding, so the chair will be loved again. Perhaps the needlepoint can be incorporated into a pillow.

Whatever you do, give us photos! I love before and after shots.

18. KimMk

KimMk New Member

19. KimMk

KimMk New Member

Here is the needlepoint up.closer. thanks for all the help everyone!!!! I will keep you all updated with my restoration project.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  20. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I very much like the original needlepoint. I hope you'll be able to reuse it. Suits the chair nicely. And yes, please. After photographs!

Debora

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted