Antique chandelier is it brass ? Any info ?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Jeff_, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Jeff_

Jeff_ New Member

2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

First check it with a magnet. Brass is non-magnetic. If it's non-magnetic, that does not guarantee that it's brass, but if it is magnetic, you know it's not brass.

If the magnet test proves it to be non-magnetic, find an inconspicuous place to do some scratching with a sharp object. Look at the area with a magnifying glass, if you can get one in there. Brass will typically be an amber/yellow color. If it's silver, you know that it's plated.

If you can get the top section apart and scratch the underside and maybe the rectangular tubing, that would probably be the best approach.

i need help likes this.
  3. Jeff_

Jeff_ New Member

We tried the magnet test, it did not stick. After the scratch test color is consistent. Weighs about 50 -70 lbs. Any idea what something like this is worth ?

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome, Jeff. We don't do values here, they differ from location to location. We can help you find similar ones so you can determine an estimate for yourself.

mmarco102 and komokwa like this.
  5. Jeff_

Jeff_ New Member

Thanks, brand new to the site. Just wondering what others thought. Any help would be appreciated.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

No idea, and typically, values are not given in these threads for a few reasons. If someone has a general idea, they may PM you.

But, it's a lovely piece and it's worth exactly what someone will pay for it. If some designer needs this to complete the foyer for a special client, they will pay a premium. Finding that person is the tough part.

Good luck!

7. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

i need help likes this.