Featured Antique china head doll - help please

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Bookahtoo, Jul 13, 2021.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I got this lady the other day. She and her clothes are in such good condition that I thought at first she was a repro. A friend of mine was at my store and is an expert on antique fabrics and clothing. She assured me that the clothing, at least, was correct, and the head looked good to me.

She is about 12" tall. I believe the head is an 1860 high brow type made in Germany. She has a gold painted necklace and bracelet. She has china arms and legs. She is wearing a dress, a bonnet, long petticoat, bloomers, and chemise. I didn't take the chemise off - I was afraid I'd rip it.

Can anyone tell me any more about her, or correct my guess?

Also, should I be photographing her against a darker background? Arggggh- I hate taking pictures. I'd get so much listed if I could just take good photos.

batch_DSCN8122.JPG

batch_DSCN8128.JPG

batch_DSCN8129.JPG

batch_DSCN8133.JPG

batch_DSCN8139.JPG

batch_DSCN8138.JPG

batch_DSCN8137.JPG

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Oh my. I think I got that same one a couple weeks ago. I’ll have to take a photo ASAP.

4. Bookahtoo

Please do!!!

Aquitaine likes this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

judy likes this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

She looks AMAZING to ME!!!! @Bookahtoo, are you using a hand-held phone or camera to take your pictures??? THAT seems to be causing some blurriness.....a simple tripod (cell phones fit on them too!) can solve that! Plain backgrounds are always best, I believe, with slight contrast to what you're shooting.....so your item stands out and doesn't blend in! I'm sure others can help you with that too, but can't wait to hear what others have to say about your doll!!!

Darkwing Manor and judy like this.
  7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Those are Bookahtoo’s photos.

judy likes this.
  8. J Dagger

I totally lied, lol. It’s not even close really. I just meant the head not the clothes but that’s not even a match. I’m not a doll person at all and this is the first China head doll I’ve had. I guess they just all look the same to me. A5D02766-8BBE-4FA4-8165-418E89F32EED.jpeg

Aquitaine likes this.
  9. J Dagger

I don’t know how to report spam but, SPAM!

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

click the report button....at the bottom of the thread...
    and then go watch tv...cuz the site is buggered...

Darkwing Manor and J Dagger like this.
  11. judy

judy Well-Known Member

@Bookahtoo..........

She looks OK from what I can see, but pictures are not good enough.....none of them.

@J Dagger ............can't tell with yours either. The doll needs to be undressed, and close ups of both front and back.

@Bookatoo........your doll would be older........by the hair style. But close ups of front back are needed.....completely undressed. Altho, you mentioned the underclothes may not be a possibility to remove successfully. However, a close up of them could reveal age.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. judy

judy Well-Known Member

@Bookatoo...........beginning to have doubts. Body type from what I can see seems to be different than what should be for the age. The shoes should be flat.

Questioning the gold necklace and bracelet...............

I will take a photo of what the body should look like on an early porcelain............

13. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Even if not completely undressed, you should be able to tell if the body is like the photo......which is not good, but should help you.

chinaheadbody.jpg

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  14. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Clothing could be made from antique fabric.

(sorry for such a blurry pic).

15. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Another photo.

fullchinahead.jpg

komokwa likes this.
  16. judy

judy Well-Known Member

However, until your doll can be fully examined, one cannot be sure exactly what it is........original/repro.

I wish Sassy would reply.

I think Christmas Joy could offer much, but I don't think she is well as she has not posted in a long time..........has not responded to my PM.

@sassafras.......hopefully all is OK with you.

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  17. judy

judy Well-Known Member

If I had looked at your photos carefully enough, I would have seen that the body on your doll is cloth, with porcelain limbs. Skip my body photos........my mistake.

Or was kid used also? (leather)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  18. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I think cloth..............

Did you look at the back of the head for signatures?

19. J Dagger

I don’t dare undress mine. I actually don’t think I would get them off in one piece, if at all. They seem to be secured and are very fragile. Mine is signed on the neck but I can’t make it out. AC may be part of the mark. Mine came in a mixed lot I decided to take a chance on just because the price was good and I was already picking up other lots from the auction. C30454B8-22EC-4514-B923-94D3FE15B51D.jpeg F8EC7CFB-6269-47DA-95F4-DED9EB0191F8.jpeg 061CF2CF-631C-4751-B249-A33F0439A032.jpeg 7BED8D22-CECF-4A9F-99C3-83B94B28AFF3.jpeg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  20. Bookahtoo

Thank you Judy.

My friend is an expert on antique fabrics and clothing. She examined the doll, undressed and dressed her. I trust her judgement that it is antique fabric.

There is no signature on her.

I will get better photos!

Draft saved Draft deleted