Featured Antique Chinese Cup/Saucer - Unusual Mark

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by 15Stiftgasse, Sep 22, 2021.

1. 15Stiftgasse

15Stiftgasse Well-Known Member

I'm about to purchase a quite attractive (in my opinion, anyway) matched cup and saucer, which appear to be Chinese and possibly late Qing period.

I was a initially stumped by what I first thought was a maker's mark on the base. However, it has since occurred to me that these items were probably part of a larger set or consignment, which were POSSIBLY stamped with the owner/importer's identifying mark (eg initials, for example). Is this likely - or are we possibly looking at a more modern import - say from Macao or somewhere, designed to deceive the unwary - like myself, for example !!

Any help whatsoever will be MUCH appreciated.

607_-1466176222.jpg 607_-1932466682.jpg 607_461302896.jpg 607_-713758252.jpg

2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Can't see enough detail in the images to be sure, but I suspect it may be an inter-war piece. You are correct, the marks are most likely the importers details, not the manufacturers.

15Stiftgasse and judy like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

:) I have 3 pieces of the same design (dinner size plate, saucer and cup, all square instead of rounded shape) but marked Made in China in an oval, red ink stamp. One of my early purchases and the roosters really made me smile.:joyful:

4. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Me too!

15Stiftgasse and Bakersgma like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I bought mine from a antique dealer in Newbury, Massachusetts in the late 70's or early 80's!

15Stiftgasse likes this.
  6. 15Stiftgasse

Many thanks for the info. Much appreciated !

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Just a little less fuzzy.....it's an Adorable Set!!!!!!!!!!!!!

607_-1466176222-low_res-scale-1_50x-gigapixel.jpg

15Stiftgasse likes this.
  8. 15Stiftgasse

Much better !!! Many thanks !

Aquitaine likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted