Antique Chinese/Japanese copper plated tea tin caddy?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Daveac, May 27, 2019.

1. Daveac

Daveac Active Member

Hi everyone. I picked up this (what I think is) a antique Japanese copper plated tea tin caddy? It also could of been made in Europe when Japanese/Chinese stye was in at the time. There is no markings or stamp (to what I can see) to indicate manufacture of maker and also I can't find anyway information or image one like this one. Could anyone provide me with any information or images on it. Thanks everyone and for your time :).

japanese tea tin copy.JPG japanese tea tin1 copy.JPG japanese tea tin2 copy.JPG japanese tea tin3 copy.JPG japanese tea tin4 copy.JPG japanese tea tin5 copy.JPG japanese tea tin6 copy.JPG

komokwa and Ghopper1924 like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Willow pattern variant. I bet it's English: basically, willow was a made up thing with millions of transferware blue and white bits of china made in the 19th C. Made to match, and it has all the look of a 19th C Birmingham made bit of copper.

3. Daveac

Daveac Active Member

Thanks, I thought it might be made in England. Thanks for the info.

Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

you probably thought of Japonism that came into fashion in the 1870s to 1890s and influenced art nouveau. but that was real handicraft at the time and this here is already machince made.
    mass-producing of copper plated tin started in the 1930s onwards on the continent. not saying that Birmingham didn't do it earlier, but that much earlier is doubtful.

Daveac likes this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Fid, we were doing biscuit tins and so on in the late 19th and early 20th. That one is well made enough that I think it earlier than the 30s.

Daveac likes this.
  6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

to me this one looks made on a fully automated machine that includes the folding, cutting etc. in one process. I once had to deliver one to Rowntree Mackintosh up in Halifax.

Daveac likes this.
  7. Daveac

Daveac Active Member

Thanks Fid

8. Daveac

Daveac Active Member

Thanks Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted