Antique clothing - help with function and dates please

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Bookahtoo, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

These are some of the clothing items that were in the box with the Kashmir shawls.
    A fringed shawl 60" by 64" without the fringe. The fringe is 7" long. I think it is silk, but is it watered silk? It is entirely hand stitched.

IMG_0825.JPG

IMG_0826.JPG

IMG_0828.JPG
    IMG_0829.JPG

Two bonnets one quilted silk, one lace:

IMG_0830.JPG

IMG_0833.JPG

net and lace skirt, and matching top/blouse - to wear over colored underthings??
    IMG_0835.JPG

IMG_0840.JPG

IMG_0842.JPG

Black lace skirt. I also have the matching top but didn't take photos.

IMG_0846.JPG

2. Bookahtoo

3. Tauriel

Tauriel Active Member

I hope some of the vintage clothes folks see this! I love that shawl!
    Sorry I can't help more I'm much more familiar with 30s and later.

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

We need Rivets for this one. I think the black lace is newer than the bonnets by a good deal. The shawl looks Victorian. No clue on the lace jacket and underskirt. I'm going to take a guess and say the black lace is more 1910 than 1890.

5. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Would that first one be considered a piano shawl?

6. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I love the pretty red bonnet Bookahtoo, about the 1880's to 90's I would estimate. I'm so happy to find this board, I was a long time lurker on the Ebay board and happy to see so many of the crew have migrated here, I've learned so much from everyone and I thank you all so much,
    Joy.

spirit-of-shiloh and Tauriel like this.
  7. pentiques

pentiques New Member

Red bonnet, about 1850s, is a winter bonnet. Lady may have worn a dust cap around the house, she would have kept the dust cap on and put the winter bonnet on over the house cap.

White lace bonnet, is cotton net lace, embroidered design. You did not mention size but if it is small there is a good market for baby bonnets, ladies buy them for their large dolls.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  8. Bookahtoo

Thanks christmasjoy and pentiques.

9. pentiques

pentiques New Member

I came back to look again. I don't think the shawl is silk, I think a blend but not sure. The Fringe is sewn on. Yes call it shawl, scarf, piano scarf. Not sure of age maybe 20s-30s.

I think the white lace was a dress at one time and someone cut it apart. The waist band on the skirt is not original and of course the bottom of the blouse is unfinished. I think the white lace is about 1910. May have had a full length silk under dress or slip. But I think both pieces have been altered.

I cannot tell about the black but I believe that has been cut down.

If you can determine whether the lace is cotton or not that would help. Try doing a burn test, cotton burns, rayon, nylon, melts.

Even though the lace items have been cut down someone will buy them to use the lace to make something else.

Rivets will have some thoughts about the shawl and lace items. So wait for more info.

10. 6rivets

6rivets Active Member

Shawl looks like acetate. The fringe is applied by poking a piece (or two) of folded fringe yarn through the hem or selvage, and then feeding the ends through that loop. Probably 1930s.

At first glance I'd put the quilted silk bonnet at around 1850, and the tambour lace cap about the same period.

The net and chemical lace set - 1910? Hard to see the form of the neckline and sleeve. Maybe a tad earlier.

Hard to say anything about the black lace skirt - I can't tell the circumference, skirt shape, or how it's assembled, but I'm betting on the first part of the 20th century.

11. Bookahtoo

I'll take better pictures of the skirt, and also take some of the matching top.

Draft saved Draft deleted