Featured Antique Delft Vase?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Barbara Edwards, Apr 26, 2024.

1. Barbara Edwards

Barbara Edwards New Member

IMG-20240426-WA0000.jpg IMG-20240426-WA0002.jpg IMG-20240426-WA0000.jpg IMG-20240426-WA0002.jpg IMG-20240426-WA0001.jpg Could any of you lovely lot confirm that this is a genuine Delft vase, and its approximate age? It has indistinct marks to the base.
    Many thanks, Barb.

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It could be German, but let's wait for @say_it_slowly .
    Looks like Art Nouveau period, if German: Jugendstil.

3. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

I don't know if yours is a genuine delft vase one, but the shape and design is the same as this Royal Mosa vase
    images.jpg
    but that one has different marks
    upload_2024-4-26_15-42-23.png
    And this is a list of Mosa marks
    52f8935017e9fae1d8e9ea5a3a43f4ec.jpg
    and they don't seem to match with yours (only the first 2 of the second row look a bit similar to that larger line on your vase)

4. Barbara Edwards

Thank you, that's really helpful :)

NewEngland, Marote and Chinoiserie like this.
  5. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Beautiful vase. I love it. What is and isn't classed as 'genuine' Delft is a funny thing. It has to be made by the correct kilns within the correct time limitations. There is a forum where the members can evaluate it for you but I can't remember the name of it. When I remember, I will let you know

6. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

mmarco102 and Chinoiserie like this.
  7. Chinoiserie

8. Any Jewelry

Delfts has to be made in the town of Delft in Holland, the Netherlands, just like Champagne is from Champagne, France.:hungry:;)
    There is no limit to the period, early Delfts is Delfts, present day Delfts is Delfts, and everything in between as well, as long as it is made in Delft.

The word Delft without an 's' is used in some parts of the world to describe blue and white ceramics that resemble Delfts to some extent.

9. Barbara Edwards

10. Chinoiserie

I'm sure they gave me a time window when I signed up. They also mentioned a region and not just the town of Delft. If I ever remember my log in details I will let you know what they said.

11. Any Jewelry

A FB group can make their own rules for membership, but that has nothing to do with the official definition of genuine Delfts. They probably only want antique pieces, because so much was made in the 20th and 21st century. Quite a lot mass production too.
    They may accept blue and white ceramics made in Gouda, but again, that is the choice of a FB group, not the official definition of Delfts.

Contrary to what many people think, FB doesn't rule the world.:playful:
    Very nice of you, but I won't be joining them, so I don't really need to know what their rules are.;)

komokwa, Marote and Chinoiserie like this.
  12. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry and Chinoiserie like this.
  13. Chinoiserie

That was the website I signed up to. When I submitted my piece I was also given some other criteria. Only certain potteries were considered etc. I can understand it. How many times have you seen a windmill with Delft stamped on it? Even if it was made in Delft its quite worthless. On the flip side it sounded like they only considered certain potteries to be true makers of it. I can well imagine some pieces have been created that are pieces of art but don't fit into their sub sets.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  14. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

All Delft potteries are equal, but some are more equal than others :D

15. Any Jewelry

Cinoiserie, it clearly says "Antique", which means they only deal with antique Delfts, not all Delfts. And ca 1850 as an end date makes perfect sense because that is when mass production set in. And as I said before:
    For comparison: If I were to start, say, an independent antique jewellery forum, I would also put a date restriction on it. An item would have to be antique, so pre-1924.
    But my restriction to antique jewellery doesn't mean that jewellery ceased to be made after 1924. A simple matter of logic imo.;)
    Maybe only the potteries from Delft? That is what I would do if I had such a group.
    Although I have a soft spot for Makkums (Tichelaar), so I might try to smuggle them in.:bag: Makkum is a town in Friesland.

As an aside, as far as I know, their use of the term Delftware does not correspond with the international understanding of the term. That is probably because it is a Dutch group, and we understand Delft and Delfts differently from non-Dutch.
    So AFAIK, the general international consensus is:
    'Delfts' is faience from Delft, often but not always blue on white.
    'Delft' is similar ware to 'Delfts', but it wasn't made in Delft.
    Delftware is blue on white faience but it may not be similar in design or decoration, and it can be made anywhere.
    So delftware is a very broad term, whereas the 'Delfts aardewerk' group seeks to narrow it down.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2024
    Marote, komokwa and Chinoiserie like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Absolutely!:smug::hilarious:

Marote, komokwa and Chinoiserie like this.
  17. Chinoiserie

I think the exact definition is just tin glaze ceramics isn't it?

There are two categories mentioned there. Antique and modern I think.

It would be a shame to only count blue and white as Delft. Some of the polychrome fles items are very attractive.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  18. Any Jewelry

I don't think anyone does.
    And not just by the Porceleyne Fles, also by others. And not only in Delft, Tichelaar in Makkum also made some lovely polychrome stuff.

kentworld and Chinoiserie like this.
  19. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I recall having to search a mark and found it to be from Makkum. A lovely polychrome plate that I believe I sold on ebay years ago. I wish I'd kept it now. I do have a Dutch vase that was a wedding gift to my parents. I think is called something like knefsneewerk (I'm sure I slaughtered the spelling on that one!) where the body design is created with a knife. My mom wasn't all that keen on it, but I really like it.

Chinoiserie, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  20. Any Jewelry

You didn't do a bad job, actually, it is 'kerfsneewerk'.:) Kerfsneewerk is also made in Friesland, just like Makkums.
    Is it the type with a green with blue or brown glaze?

kentworld, Chinoiserie and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted