Featured Antique desk? Help please! England

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Marricked, May 2, 2020.

1. Marricked

Marricked Member

Good afternoon everyone,

I am hoping someone might be able to assist in identifying a desk I have got. I can't find any manufacturers marks on it anywhere. I am hoping to find out how old it is roughly, what it would be called and potentially who manufactured it. And possibly what it could be worth for insurance purposes.

The story behind it is I have inherited it from my great grandmother. During one of the world wars she worked as a cleaner for a rich family in the North East of England. The family moved out the area and they gifted this desk to my great grandmother telling her it was valuable. I have no further information unfortunately. It is in pristine condition and has been kept in a room out of sunlight (apart from to take these photos!).

Unfortunately the photos aren't the greatest as my Dad who is not the best with technology took them and I can't take any myself due to the lockdown. But hopefully they are sufficient to be able to get a good look at the table. It still has the original key.

Thanks in advance for any help! WhatsApp Image 2020-05-02 at 13.30.28 (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-05-02 at 13.30.28 (2).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-05-02 at 13.30.28 (3).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-05-02 at 13.30.28.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-05-02 at 13.30.29 (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-05-02 at 13.30.29 (2).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-05-02 at 13.30.29.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-05-02 at 13.30.30.jpeg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about it except I want it. Love the sphinxes flanking the mirror. Are there any secret compartments?

3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Gorgeous walnut desk with inlay. I would presume a date of 1880 or so. It has some Davenport elements but offers more storage.

Anyway, I love it. I'm in the U.S. and don't know who the big furniture makers at that time were in England, but if there's no label of any sort then you may have to be content with knowing it's late 19th century.

I'm not well-versed in your antique market, either, but presume that "brown furniture" is in the basement, price-wise, for you as it is for the U.S. Nevertheless, this has some value. At an auction my my part of the U.S. I'd expect it to bring $800-$1200, maybe more where you are.

4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

That is a glorious piece of furniture. I want to hear the comments too! @James Conrad - you gotta see this thing.

5. Marricked

Marricked Member

No secret compartments as such but countless drawers and openings with more compartments inside, all lockable. It is really nice and I've not been able to find anything similar on auction sites/ebay hence why I am a bit stuck as to what it is or what it is worth!

6. Marricked

Marricked Member

Thank you for all your replies so far, it is really appreciated :)

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is gorgeous, Marricked, and welcome. The inlay reminds me of Italian Sorrento ware.

8. Bronwen

9. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Sees it but i don't really know, it isn't in my area of interest.
    Guesses late 19th century - early 20th.

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:
    Beautiful and amazing! I would never remember all that.
    So yes, the link works.:) And thank you for posting it.:happy:

11. Marricked

Marricked Member

12. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

A very fine piece! The family story sounds dead-on, as whoever this was consigned for had money. Every detail and embellishment; in all the marquetry, carved gallery, even the cut mirror, adds up in a cabinetmaker's invoice! I love the naivete' in the angel's face, so much personality there. And quite the menagerie of beasties! I can not help with a maker. You might try an enquiry to one of the Northumbrian decorative arts or conservators' schools.

13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Beautiful!.
    I would contact several of your decent local auction houses (or any good auction house) and pretend you are thinking of selling and ask them for a valuation via the photos. Lots of them are operating albeit scaled down. It would give you a ballpark figure and maybe more information about it if you can find an auction house with an expert on this type of furniture. Then I don't know know whether you triple or quadruple it for insurance purposes, that I have no clue about.
    Or wait until Antiques Roadshow comes your way and take it!.

14. Marricked

Marricked Member

Thank you for the detailed reply. I'll see what enquiries I can make. I didn't expect to get so many replies so quickly - it's all really appreciated.

15. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

16. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Marricked, firstly WELCOME!!!! Secondly, I guess we'd all have to get in line as far as wanting it!!!:joyful::joyful: Thirdly, The inlay is STUNNING on it!!! The main thing I'd add is that whatever valuation you DO get, Insurance values are most often AT LEAST doubled, so I'd keep that in mind when you do insure!!!

i need help, Marricked and Bronwen like this.
  17. Bronwen

I get search results that are most similar to your secretary/desk in the way they are decorated when I search for Regency pieces:

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/...0001/lot-07fa8d0c-1fe0-45ce-951d-a8a1012f9bb8

Had to Google around a bit, but see what Ghopper means about Davenport elements:

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/t...-davenport-desk-manner-gillows/id-f_12070773/

Yours differs from others that come up in having that upper section with the mirror & drawer compartments.

I don't know furniture, but I do know cupids, & these are more Regency/William IV, so I'm going with a date in the first third of the 19th century. Seller assigns this one to 1860; beautiful, but no inlay:

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/s...cCvBh2DqxqZOD_ZwTGEaAsP7EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

18. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Very pretty indeed. I'd agree on 1870s/80s or so. I have a little inlaid music seat settee with similar inlays. They're actually ivory. The lack of fading is good, too.

Our market is way down for Davenports and suchlike, but that one is nice enough - and useful enough - that it would be worth more than the average. It's a lady's one. I could see it being £500 to £700 at auction.

19. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

My antique dealer / French polisher friend says it is late Victorian early Edwardian, Rosewood ladies writing stationary desk, either ivory or bone inlay.
    Possibly French made.

30 years ago in London it would have fetched mega money.
    In today's depressed market around £375, insurance value around £1250

20. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

@James Conrad @Ghopper1924
    There is a name for this style of desk.
    It's like a paymaster's desk.

I think this is more mid 1800's. 1860s/70s
    Also think that Italy might be place of origin.

KSW, i need help, Marricked and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted