Antique End Table - ID?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by MyAntiquersName, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Agreed. Most likely veneer. Solid mahogany is only found with the higher end stuff.

2. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I just realized that furniture like this from the 50s that doesn't seem old because I grew up with it, is actually 70 years old! Oh, my.

3. MyAntiquersName

MyAntiquersName Active Member

Thanks so much! By the way, I now remember the drawer and I think I have it! It's in another location, I have to check. We had odds and ends in it.

4. MyAntiquersName

I just found the drawer to this last week! It has a manufacturer’s mark on the bottom. Can anyone tell me what it says and means?

Thanks!
    1B3E4662-CF55-44BB-9AD0-6EEACD1E66F9.jpeg 75CC58E4-0E86-4C76-8955-AA2C2B04C966.jpeg C196BB0C-1741-43C0-A560-15749603C2B1.jpeg

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Mersman. Table is c. 1950.

6. MyAntiquersName

Hi, verybrad - Thank you! I just found the same item on the web:

https://offerup.com/item/detail/40999530/

It’s listed as mahogany. It sold for $100 on that site 5 years ago. Do you still think it’s veneer?

Thanks!

Tina

7. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Yes it is veneer. Mersman did a lot of that. They are among the higher quality of the mid range furniture makers. The person that got $100.00 was more than lucky in my opinion

8. MyAntiquersName

9. columba

columba Member

To me all the large areas look to be ,not veneer which is very thin ,but veneered plywood a lot thicker than veneer on it's own on either side of solid timber planks joined together. (look pine) later stained.

The others section legs ,side shaped sections on top,look to be solid ,probably some sort of maple,or meranti (cheaper version of mahogany)

Columba.

Draft saved Draft deleted