Featured Antique Etiquette

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Richard Bowmaker, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Richard Bowmaker

Richard Bowmaker New Member

Hi - no idea where to ask this question, so I’ll start here. I am not an antique ‘person’ so forgive my ignorant tone.

I have acquired a very nice c800 Anglo Saxon silver strap end. It’s nicely preserved and has perfect rivet holes.

My wife is a historian with a penchant for the period, and I wanted to get a professional jeweller to mount the strap end into a necklace / pendant for her via the rivet holes. Now comes the etiquette question... Are those of you who are reading this who know about such things gasping in horror at this idea?

Should these kind of things be kept as museum / display pieces / in collections, and is trying to make something of this in some other way scoffed at, or is this kind of ok? I don’t want to appear to be an antique muppet as it were :)

appreciate any feedback!

2. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

What does your wife think? It would probably be a good thing if you didn’t have to damage the strap end in any way to make it into a necklace ie using any holes already present as you say. Is it a very rare example? That would make a difference.

3. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

I think you're a very thoughtful husband, and for me, so long as the piece isn't altered when adapting to a pendant, would love to have something like you suggest...

~Cheryl

4. Richard Bowmaker

It’s supposed to be a present one way or another, so garnering her opinion might spoil the surprise! The item has nice rivet holes already, so no damage should occur (with luck)

5. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Show us a photo of the piece,it might help.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. Houseful

Ah right. I see what you mean. Is it similar to this one?
    72644187-2287-4FAB-96AB-79B325E0F402.jpeg

7. Richard Bowmaker

Very similar

Houseful likes this.
  8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Why not make a chastity belt instead?

Fid likes this.
  9. Houseful

Are you thinking to just add two rings and then attach chains? They would be easy to remove in the future if wanted.
    I haven’t been able to see any others online made into necklaces but I would think it would look pretty good.

i need help likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

What a lovely idea, Richard.
    I agree, that's what I would do. I wouldn't find it a problem at all, as long as the piece remains intact, so no soldering either.

patd8643, i need help and Houseful like this.
  11. Houseful

Just adding rings and chains would be cheaper. There’s these mounts but I don’t know if this sort of mount work would damage the piece.
    0C62CF0E-186E-4BE7-B994-EA86F152CF68.jpeg

i need help likes this.
  12. Richard Bowmaker

I was going to ask the jeweller what she could do to be most sympathetic, certainly with a view to later removal. More down to not appearing to trivialise a 1200 yr old artifact.

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Have a silicon mold made and cast a replica.

i need help likes this.
  14. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

15. Richard Bowmaker

Hoping to go for something slightly classier than that, but that’s the idea. Just silver loops and a simple silver chain I think

16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If it has the two holes. I might just run piece of satin rat-tail through them and call it solved. The satin cording can't do any damage to the strap end. OTOH, check to make sure it's not some rare example first.

Houseful and LIbraryLady like this.
  17. Richard Bowmaker

Sounds like a great idea... time to start googling on that!

18. Richard Bowmaker

I’m pretty sure it’s a nice example of, but fairly standard find. Sometimes I find it hard to get my head around the fact someone made and used it so long ago!

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  19. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

.... and would probably look at you cockeyed when you said you wanted to use a strap end as a necklace.

20. Richard Bowmaker

Probably just after I convinced them not to kill, enslave, eat or screw me :)

Draft saved Draft deleted