Antique european saber?

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Nuno899, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Nuno899

Nuno899 Member

Yes that can be

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I don’t know about sabers, just wanted to say what an adorable kitty! :cat:

3. Nuno899

Nuno899 Member

:happy:Yes that is an incredible cat, a female actually, and not mine, but my sister's.
    I have 4 old cats, ages between 7 and 19 yo.
    Cats are astonishing animals.

4. Nuno899

Nuno899 Member

It is a British Shorthair btw

5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I had not heard of that breed. Just took a look at some online, beautiful!

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it looks like it wants to be a civil war era saber but I'm having trouble finding a wood handle with a brass cast backstrap like yours....

Nuno899, Aquitaine and i need help like this.
  7. Nuno899

Nuno899 Member

You mean American Civil War?
    It is unlikely, as this was bought in Portugal.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Nuno899

Nuno899 Member

Yes please.
    I see anything.
    Here more detail photos.

Attached Files:

9. Nuno899

Nuno899 Member

I forgot to say the blade is blunt, but that was common also, only sharpened for battle

10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I have to say that other than where I've circled, I'm now not seeing what I saw in that other image, other than a very few letters that I've circled: #1- maybe SC or ST, #2- clearly an N and #3- what looks like S P, but the P is iffy/or unclear! What looked like letters yesterday I'm not seeing in these images today.....did you get a chance to look with a STRONG Magnifying glass??

IMG_20200628_155429_compress73.jpg

Nuno899 likes this.
  11. komokwa

Could you please confirm this statement , with a historic account or the comments of some military expert that wrote on the subject..?

Nuno899 likes this.
  12. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

The handle is the most distinctive feature. There is a U.K.-based sword ID site u could try, or the popular Vikingsword forums, to learn for academic reasons. The sword has very little If any collector value due to poor condition and lack of scabbard. At a gun show in the US, swords of that age and condition might be priced at $50., with the seller very eager to negotiate or trade for almost anything.

Any Jewelry and Nuno899 like this.
  13. Nuno899

Nuno899 Member

I have checked with a magnifying glass but couldn't see any numbers, letters or any kind of mark.
    The photos were taken in different light conditions so that can cause shades that can look like marks

Aquitaine likes this.
  14. Nuno899

Nuno899 Member

No I can't, actually that
    I can't confirm that myself, but please watch an YouTube channel - Scholagladiatoria made by an UK (I think) sword expert who talked about that subject

15. Nuno899

Nuno899 Member

Thank you very much for that information, I will check those sites for unfirnation
    This saber was not expensive, it is the first one I bought and am trying to find if it is authentic, because have very little information about it
    Also am planning to make a visit to local military museum, they have on show these kind of weapons.

16. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

good, you have to start somewhere. If you can find arms fairs to attend there will be dealers who will explain a lot about the items. If you want your collection to have value, buy the best original-condition, complete items you can afford. Borrow or buy books Written by reputable authors, preferably books that address a narrow segment of the field, that way you can see the differences between similar swords. Specializing within the field is good, don’t try to deal with any type sword of any era, get smart on one historical period and maybe within one country, at first anyway. Join Facebook groups and participate in online forums.

17. Nuno899

Nuno899 Member

Thank you for your help and advice.
    I'm currently trying to attend historical fencing lessons s here in my city, also would like to know more about these weapons, however still haven't a chosen period or era of interest.

18. Nuno899

Nuno899 Member

BTW can you post a link to that UK site?
    (if forum rules allow that)

19. Nuno899

Nuno899 Member

I have contacted seller yesterday, he told me the blade was heavily polished and any marks that were present are gone. Looking closely on the blade you can see that is true.
    This sword has more than 100 years according to him and the blade is also corroded so very difficult to find any mark.

20. komokwa

upload_2020-6-29_12-43-1.jpeg upload_2020-6-29_12-50-39.jpeg upload_2020-6-29_12-51-52.jpeg

you can grind marks down....
    but you can't polish them off........

even a pitted 100 plus year old blade.....would still show foundry marks..
    if the steel was military grade..

Draft saved Draft deleted