Featured Antique Fire Extinguisher

Discussion in 'Tools' started by itsanss, Apr 26, 2019.

1. itsanss

itsanss Member

This isn't necessarily a tool, but I'm not really sure where else it would fit so I'm posting it here.

This is a Fyr Fyter antique soda acid fire extinguisher that I inherited from family. I got two of them, actually, and restored one that now adorns my kitchen as decor. The other one will stay out in the shop in original, un-restored condition.

I'm really happy with how it turned out and just thought I'd share!

Thanks

P.S. More info. is in the description on the slideshow video.

IMG_6246 (800x600).jpg

Jivvy, axelrich, Lucille.b and 6 others like this.
  2. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

nice, are the guts intact ie bottle etc inside?

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

r those from 1919......?

judy likes this.
  4. axelrich

axelrich Active Member

I like the Restored one. Quite an antique piece it is...

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

R U sure those are 100 years old ?

i need help likes this.
  6. itsanss

itsanss Member

coreya,

One of them still has the bottle intact with lead stopper. The other, unrestored extinguisher had the bottle but was cracked from top to bottom. When I received it in the mail the bottle was in a million pieces. So I still have the hangar inside the extinguisher and the lead stopper, but the bottle is busted. My restored one has the hangar, bottle, and stopper and is complete.

axelrich,

Thanks! I'm very happy and impressed with how well the restoration turned out!

komokwa,

I'm unsure of an age. I've done some research to try and figure out a time-frame when it might have been manufactured, but haven't turned up any great results. I'm guessing between 1917 and 1947. That was one thing that I read online was that was when the company was based out of Dayton, OH, which is what the lid has embossed on it. The company was sold a few times and operated out of different towns. So that's my best guess is that it's 70-100 years old. An exact age may be impossible to determine.

Thanks!

image1 (8) (600x800).jpg

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted