Antique Frame w glass etching

Discussion in 'Art' started by DivasFinds, Apr 19, 2024.

1. DivasFinds

DivasFinds Well-Known Member

Found this in the attic of my parents farmhouse, pretty sure its antique (at least the frame).
    Wood gilt frame is in pretty good condition. I threw out the glass 'picture' as it was broken beyond repair but included a photo of it for reference or identification help. Any idea of value of frame, if any. It's very pretty imo and I may try and repurpose it. 20240415_142823_copy_450x1000.jpg 20240417_221829_copy_90x200.jpg 20240415_143423_copy_1000x450.jpg 20240415_142827_copy_450x1000.jpg

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Circa 1900. Frames such as this are currently out of fashion. I have struggled to get even $25.00 out of similar era frames in very good condition. Condition of yours is not terrible but the gold spray paint doesn't help.

Any Jewelry and DivasFinds like this.
  3. DivasFinds

Would it originally have been sold as plain wood color or stained??
    Good to know Brad thanks... i kinda love it it's fun, so we'll see. What do you make of the glass picture thing? Kinda odd....

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A reverse painting on glass of the US Capitol. Shame re condition. If you do a Google Lens search you'll find lots of similars. Must have been a popular image in its time.

Debora

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Was probably a more sympathetic gilt, though you sometimes see these in dark oak with the background natural wood showing and the gesso painted to match/compliment. Here is an example.

frame.jpg

Last edited: Apr 19, 2024
  6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Verybrad beat me to it! I had one of those wooden frames that came into our antique store back in the day and I wanted to keep it, but didn't have anyplace to put it. That one had a metal decorative rim around the photo.

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd put a print or a photo in it and hang it. Problem solved ...unless you count the nasty gold spray paint. My guess is that back when someone was trying to make it prettier. Hmmm - put a sheet of mirror in it?

8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I didn't know this until we had my husband's 1835 ancestor's portrait conserved, but people used radiator paint on frames. That is the dull gold color you see. The conservator said she sees it a lot on old frames.

9. DivasFinds

Interesting!

10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I actually did know radiator paint ended up in lots of places it shouldn't have been. It was the metallic paint that came handy, especially in the 30s/40s. Since no one had an art supply store around the corner in most towns, they used it.

Draft saved Draft deleted