Featured Antique Frame

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Tommy, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Tommy

Tommy New Member

Opinions? The carvings are pretty detailed and the wood seems old

Attached Files:

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

My first thought is Mexican or other Latin country. Really doesn't look that old to me. Just done in a rustic style. That staple joinery at the corners is also an indication of newer construction. The particle board back may be original but could also be a later addition. What is the configuration of the artwork? Looks like there is something written on the front. What does it say?

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Just found that the image is Our Lady of Guadalupe so my thoughts about this being Mexican are correct. I imagine this was created as a complete package and sold to tourists/devotees.

4. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Definitely Our Lady of G., most beloved virgin-icon of Mexico, also known affectionately as La Morenita (little brown one) since she is generally pictured with darker skin and black hair. I agree, not necessarily old. Mexicans often construct furniture and such out of cheap, repurposed wood... primitive-looking, like this. Still, in the right part of the world (Southwest) or for somebody who enjoys these rustic items, it would be very desirable!

antidiem likes this.
  5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Agree with all of the above.

Want to mention it's a pretty print even with the small damages and suggest you may be able to check the "solds" on ebay for this genre of presentation. I think you could sell it there if you want. Best of luck to you with this.

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I agree; it's not old at all. People into Southwestern decor will like it regardless of the age.

antidiem likes this.
  7. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

I know we don't often talk money here, but, in a toney Southwestern big-city store selling primitive-style stuff and other finer stuff, like pottery, would get 100 bucks for it... maybe more.

antidiem likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted