Antique French Clown?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Ladycarella, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Ladycarella

Ladycarella New Member

Hi all

I'm new here, I was bought an antique French clown around 25 years ago and have just recieved same into my possession! It's very pretty, but appears to have no markings on it whatsoever and I would love to know a little more about it. I believe my parents paid over a thousand francs for it at the time. Any ideas on where to start looking for information on it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Could we please see the bottom of the piece? It tells a lot about age and maker even if there are no markings on it.
    Thank you,
    greg

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome, Ladycarella -- 25 years is a long time to wait for a gift! I like your clown, but can't tell much about it. I agree with Greg that people will be able to tell more if they can see the bottom.

Ladycarella and KingofThings like this.
  4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome!

5. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

On left side of base is what could be a trade name, model name, etc. Hard to read from this angle, may be partly obliterated, but post a photo of that too. What is height?

Ladycarella and KingofThings like this.
  6. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

I brighten the photo a tad -

clown.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  7. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

At least not a scary one.... :nailbiting::clown::wideyed:

pearlsnblume likes this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Cute! Definitely some worn letters on the base, as Springfield has noted.

And Welcome!

KingofThings likes this.
  9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

That decoupage (?) look was big in the 70s-80s. That's the feeling of its age I get.

10. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I think what looks like lettering on the left side of the base may actually be the darker textured coloring that appears in other areas. Or is there something I'm not seeing?

11. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I would call it "patchwork." And I agree with you, Johnny, on when this "look" was popular.

12. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I agree... "patchwork." I might say "patchwork quilt look" or something like that.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  13. Ladycarella

Ladycarella New Member

Hi all. Thanks so much for the help. It appears to just be part of the pattern. It's 13 inches high.

And that would be the correct era. I should say all the different ornaments come apart and are individual pieces.

Pat P likes this.
  14. Ladycarella

Ladycarella New Member

The base is covered in felt. No Markings at all!

Attached Files:

15. Jo Taylor

Jo Taylor Member

Are you sure it cost over 1,000 francs? That, 25 years ago, was around £100, which seems rather a lot for a newish item - I'm not sure why you're calling it an antique?

16. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

She was just clowning around about the 1000 francs.

17. Ladycarella

Ladycarella New Member

No the reciept was in with it. It was bought in Lourdes.

Yes Jo. I am sure. Thanks

18. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Picture taken against a bright light are usually poor pictures. This one is no exception. Always have the light behind you unless after a deliberate artistic effect.

19. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I didn't realize they were all separate pieces. I thought it was just one piece. I still think they are very cute, but I don't really know how to find information on these.

20. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I can remember giftware - Doulton figures and such - selling for that sort of money in the early 90s. Some retail prices have effectively flattened.

Ladycarella likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted