Featured Antique glass decanter

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Chinoiserie, Apr 15, 2023.

1. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

I grabbed this today. I thought it was bohemian but google tells me it is victorian. 20230415_145749.jpg 20230415_165958.jpg 20230415_170013.jpg 20230415_170006.jpg

KylieS, stracci, ulilwitch and 8 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is lovely.
    If it is 19th century Bohemian, some people would call it Victorian, instead of 19th century Bohemian or even Austro-Hungarian.
    Obviously Victoria never ruled over Bohemia and the Habsburgs did, but there you are.;)

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

4. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Okay thanks for the info. I'd be inclined to call it by the name of reigning dynasty in whichever country it came from at the time of manufacture. So Habsburgian it is.

PS it appears to be missing its stopper. One day I might just find something that is complete and without it cracks in it.

Any Jewelry, ulilwitch and wlwhittier like this.
  5. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

That's the spirit! Keep payin' your dues with such finds...the while sharpening your eye an' refining your tastes.
    We've all done it, one way or another. No one will confess how costly such an education can be...but the rewards are priceless! Carry on...

ulilwitch and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Victorian in British time, bohemian in origin. Celery handled and enamelled glass.

Bakersgma likes this.
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

8. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Very "springy".

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I should have added that those are lily of the valley, convolaria majalis. Lovely lovely plants and a very common motif on glass of this type.

Bakersgma likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted