Featured Antique Glass Paperweights?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Heather Cantwell, Aug 25, 2023.

1. Hello everyone! I recently bought a bunch of glass paperweights from the thrift store and I was wondering if anyone can tell how old they are? Also, three of them seem like they either are cracked or flawed. Or is this common with old paperweights? IMG_9600.jpeg IMG_9601.jpeg IMG_9602.jpeg IMG_9603.jpeg IMG_9607.jpeg IMG_9609.jpeg IMG_9611.jpeg IMG_9612.jpeg IMG_9613.jpeg IMG_9614.jpeg

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The one you show the bottom of looks typical of modern Chinese pieces.

These two are the most interesting to my eye:
    00000f.jpeg

If you examine the "flowers" of the one on the right, does one of them contain a small initial?

I think you can accept the date of the one on the left.

judy, Chinoiserie, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  3. Yes, One of them Is actually dated. :) I just put that one in the photo because it came with the rest of them. :)
    No Initials in the millefiori one.

judy, Chinoiserie, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Three of the paperweights do look cracked. I wouldn't say it's common although most collectors come across a cracked weight or two every now and then. It's usually caused by either sudden temperature changes or from being dropped or banged against another weight. No way to repair unfortunately.

judy, Chinoiserie and johnnycb09 like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Welcome to the addictive world of paperweights.

judy, Chinoiserie and lovewrens like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Even I buy them if they're nice and going begging. It's a sickness.

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The crack is called an annealing shear. It results from a weight not being cooled down slowly enough and can show up many years later. It can even split a weight in two.

I agree those are mostly Chinese, nothing wrong with that. The dated one looks right, and would be worth having professionally polished. Millefiori might be Fratelli Toso.

Draft saved Draft deleted