Featured Antique Gorham serving pieces

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Silverking53, Jan 5, 2023.

1. Silverking53

Silverking53 Member

A few nice pieces I believe are Gorham Chantilly collection. Pat.1895 hallmarked with lion,anchor,G Sterling . Not sure if that’s how old they are or just when the design was pat.? I couldn’t resist polishing them. I polished them by hand to a satisfying shine. Was I wrong to polish them? 800E5D95-0D73-481D-A220-5672B649AC02.jpeg E7ACE11C-A9CA-4052-8870-7293AD71A727.jpeg ECC5436E-772B-4883-9BF5-1B1353B553D3.jpeg 7FDA2992-6BCA-4FF3-B4AA-A854E03C2695.jpeg 8393FE02-B912-4540-B29E-D4347C2DE102.jpeg 07D1A5B4-1356-43D3-9FEA-1F44F7D8B6A3.jpeg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

when they were made they looked like this too......
    polishing will not affect their age....:happy::happy::happy:

3. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Were you wrong to polish them?

Absolutely not.

You MUST polish silver. If you don't, the tarnish builds up, and then it becomes damn near impossible to clean.

And that's when the real damage starts, because you need to use harder cleaning methods to remove even more stubborn tarnish, and that's when the silver starts wearing away.

4. Rufus@frockstarvintage

Rufus@frockstarvintage Well-Known Member

They’re lovely, and even more so due to your polishing.

5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

They are beautiful polished!

6. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Good heavens!!!
    Gone are the years of patina!!!
    Ye gads!!! :eek:

Just kidding. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Many moons ago, I bought a service for 12 (Rodgers, cannot remember the pattern) from a local weekend dealer. I polished that silverware for years and it was in constant use until about 15 years ago when I sold it to a friend who "just had to have it."
    Why have it and not take advantage of a beautifully set dinner table? :cool:

7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I think 1895 is when the design was patented and not necessarily when these pieces were made. Other members here will know more.

They look beautiful after polishing!

8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The marking on yours indicates only when the design was patented and not when made. This is usual way to interpret the appearance of a patent date.

Chantilly was reissued about 1950 and the marking is different - does not include the full lion anchor G but simply Gorham Sterling.

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Chantilly, the very popular silverware pattern among 1950's brides.

Debora

10. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Well, if you're just showing off your polishing skills then you deserve praise! You did a splendid job. If you are selling them, you can get a few dollars more for the polishing. Chantilly is my pattern. My husband won a basic service for 8 in a sales contest at his work. Well, he won the opportunity to select his prize from a catalog and of course, "we" selected the silver. That was years ago. While I no longer need extra pieces, I always looked for polished, clean pieces to buy. A potential buyer will buy these quickly. Folks always want their antiques to look brand new, don't they? The oldest piece of Chantilly I ever found was a Bird Fork, a small fork which I assumed was used to snarf up all the Passenger Pigeons in the world. Or maybe quail or other small edible birds.

Silverking53, komokwa and KSW like this.
  11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I was a late '60's bride....my Mom purchased a full Gorham Chantilly set for 12 in the late '50's..... had it polished and put in one of those 'preserving' chests... to this day I have NEVER had to polish it and it looks as wonderful as @Silverking53's GREAT job polishing!:happy:

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's a very pretty pattern. One can understand its popularity.

Debora

13. Silverking53

Silverking53 Member

Thank you.

komokwa likes this.
  14. Silverking53

Silverking53 Member

Thank you

Figtree3 likes this.
  15. Silverking53

Silverking53 Member

So do you think these are earlier than 1950? Seems the older pieces are marked with symbols rather than print.

16. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Yes, that is what I implied in post#8. How much earlier I do not know and as far as I know there is no way to determine when.

Silverking53 likes this.
  17. Silverking53

Silverking53 Member

Wow what a great prize. Do you have any photos of your bird fork? I have a small fork I don’t remember the maker. But I was thinking it was for snails or something small.‍♂️

18. Silverking53

Silverking53 Member

Thank you again.

Draft saved Draft deleted