Antique Hand Fan

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Paul Morgan, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Woodward and Lothrop are only important because they were a high end retailer in a major U.S. city. (So one could assume that your fan was an expensive,
    well-designed item in its day.)

Debora

Christmasjoy, Sandra and Paul Morgan like this.
  3. Paul Morgan

Paul Morgan Member

Thank You!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I have long had a soft spot in my heart for Woodies (as it was known locally from the 1960's on.)

There's even a book about the store's history. I have a copy of it:
    Woodies book.png

The Woodward & Lothrop logo changed many times over the years. (The one used in the title on the book cover shown above (with he joined O's) was among the last...)

I'm thinking that the logo used on Paul's fan box is one of the very early ones:
    woodies.jpeg

For what it's worth, by 1915, the logo was already different:
    Woodies 1915_LI (2).jpg
    In any case, I was more excited to see the box than the fan! I know I'm weird, but as I said, I have always had a real soft spot for Woodward & Lothrop!

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

How interesting! There was nothing like those old, grand department stores with their wonderful lunch rooms. And the service!

Debora

6. Paul Morgan

Paul Morgan Member

very interesting information. I am surprised that the box has’t been damaged over the years. Thanks for everyone’s interest.

Christmasjoy and SBSVC like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It was an expensive item and likely used only once or twice. Someone cherished it.

Debora

KikoBlueEyes, Christmasjoy and SBSVC like this.
  8. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Paul, if you keep it, get some archival (acid-free) tissue paper and an archival storage box, to separately wrap and store the fan and presentation box in. The presentation box will probably test acidic, so it is best to remove it from contact with the fan fabrics. Keep both in a dark, dry place with minimal daily or seasonal temperature change (Not an attic or basement!) This should prolong the life and beautiful condition indefinitely. If you display it, keep it out of the light as much as possible, even indirect light will eventually fade it.

9. Paul Morgan

Paul Morgan Member

Thank You! I believe it’s been wrapped in acid free tissue paper. I will keep it stored in a dark dry and at room temperature setting.
    Thank You!

Draft saved Draft deleted