Featured Antique hunting in Paris?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Nick Georgia, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Nick Georgia

Nick Georgia Well-Known Member

Hello everyone
    does anyone know the best places to buy genuine antiques in Paris?I read a bit about Marche puces de saint-ouen and curious if anyone from this forum has been there.Any tips?bargaining or fixed prices?risk of fake items?
    Any advice is highly appreciated
    My best regards to all my forum friends :happy::shame:

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I would think the marché aux puces de Saint-Ouen would be expensive. I believe @Nancy Neal roamed the Paris antiques markets last year, maybe she knows.
    @popsycat , @kyratango ?:)

3. Nick Georgia

Thank you for your reply
    I will appreciate any help with anyone who has done it before or knows anything.My particular interest is going to be lightning(as always) and painted trumeaux.
    I know genuine antiques are not cheap :( but.. C'est la vie ;)

4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

How exciting! I wish you luck on your adventure.

5. Nick Georgia

oh,hi
    how are you doing?
    Thanks for your wishes-I am so excited but anxious that no plane can take all things that I want to get there:banhappy:

6. KikoBlueEyes

I always bring a packable duffle and put my dirty clothes in it on my return and I put all my treasures in my luggage. Eagle Creek has a nice one that extends out to be very large but is very compact. I am doing quite lovely, thank you. :)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  7. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

Look at site brocabrac and the area you are staying, it will tell you street markets etc which are only on for one or two days, also vide greniers.org another site is brocante calendrier. If you see an "Aladin" magazine, it will also contain info about whats on. Good luck and happy hunting.

8. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Many different markets in Puces de Saint Ouen!
    http://www.marcheauxpuces-saintouen.com/4.aspx
    Most expensive is Marché Biron, 18th and 19th glittering antiques.
    Good old one is Marché Vernaison, antiques and brocante, lots of as is pieces, IMHO bargains to be made if you know your stuff.
    Little out of center one is Marché Jules Vallès, where some sellers go to buy;)
    Marché Serpette (where there is a parking on the roof)around it, outside, is Marché Paul Bert, mixed stuff from all periods, my favorite!
    Marché Dauphine is one of the more recent, but has interesting stands.
    You’ll need several days to scout them all:dead:

Bargaining is always in the air, just do it gently, asking « what would be your best price? »

On sunday morning, Puces de la Porte de Vanves may be interesting (it was when I haunted it 20 years ago:rolleyes:

9. kyratango

Good advice, Popsycat! :)

10. Nick Georgia

Thank you for your precious information-I have nearly 6 days(until I head to Poitier) in Paris so I will do my best !
    as I learned all these Marche-s are in one area
    thanks again

11. kyratango

Forgot to say that the Marchés de Saint Ouen are only open on saturday, sunday and monday

12. kyratango

13. Rabid Collector

Rabid Collector Well-Known Member

Wear old worn out clothes and then chuck them to make room for important items :). No one will care in Paris. They’ll think you’re an artist.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  14. KikoBlueEyes

Excellent plan!

Nick Georgia likes this.
  15. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Back in the 1970s80s I used to sell all of my clothes when I went to Europe so i could bring more things home. The only trouble I had was in Russia. I sold two pairs of jeans to this guy. When I was leaving the hotel I was stopped by the "officials" who examined my luggage and asked where the two pair of jeans were missing. I became very red faced and said that I had "messed" my jeans with diarrhea and thrown them out. They wanted to know where I threw them and when. I acted all kinds of stupid. I said the one pair at the train station and the other pair some where in the city (Moscow). They made some calls and called me a liar and demanded to know who I sold them two. I just kept playing stupid and finally they let me go. I never ever tried that trick again in Russia.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    greg

16. Rabid Collector

Rabid Collector Well-Known Member

I would imagine if they weren’t messed up before they would have been after that escapade.

kyratango and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  17. Nick Georgia

Russians have not changed much since then,nor their country has. Thanks for sharing your story.I am allowed to bring nearly 50 kg of luggage on board but I can still buy extra luggage if I wanted to.What makes me scared is that I hate to be cheated or given fake or marriage items :(

18. KikoBlueEyes

Try posting something quick here, if you have questions. There are always people around and maybe someone can help you. Like today, I posted about two Antique Chinese portraits on pith (?) paper and got some terrific help from members right away.

19. Nick Georgia

absolutely,I will definitely need your advice :)
    thank you

20. Nick Georgia

BTW,I found this group/forum to be absolutely helpful and friendly.Maybe more friendly and supportive then even Facebook

Draft saved Draft deleted