Featured ANTIQUE (?) ITALIAN METAL CANDLESTICKS - UNUSUAL!!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Aquitaine, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi Good People!!! I've been looking at these candlesticks for a good long time!! Never used them because all you have to do is look at them cross-eyed and the remaining paint just falls off in little chips.....but I do think they are beautiful!!! They are stamped "Made in Italy", about 7 1/2" tall, and actually roughly similar measurements in all directions. I haven't a clue as to HOW old they may be, and just WHAT kind of metal they may be.....the leaves and some parts are thinner, but the 'stems' and birds seem solid.....anyone have any ideas....even on where to look???? As ALWAYS thanks for your expertise and input!!!!!

PR CndlStx1.jpg
    PR CndlStx2.jpg
    PR CndlStx3.jpg
    PR CndlStx4.jpg
    PR CndlStx5.jpg

PR CndlStx6.jpg
    PR CndlStx7.jpg

aaroncab, Christmasjoy, judy and 2 others like this.
  2. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Quite a few people call this 'tole', but I know there's another word for it that won't rattle out of my brain.
    Google images: italy tole

judy and KingofThings like this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Is it terrible of me to say repaint them and enjoy them ?!?

judy and KingofThings like this.
  4. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

5. Aquitaine

judy, KingofThings and SBSVC like this.
  6. Aquitaine

SOMETIMES NOTHING rattles out of my brain or skull.....it's just a given!!!! But you've given me a key word to search!!!! THANKS SO much!!!!!

KingofThings and lauragarnet like this.
  7. Aquitaine

Does anyone have any idea what the metal is that the paint is flaking off of??? Especially on the bird in the 4th image down.....it's bright and shiny.......

KingofThings likes this.
  8. lauragarnet

I have always thought that it's some kind of tin for no particular reason that I know of. Can you check and see if it's magnetic?

judy, KingofThings and Aquitaine like this.
  9. Aquitaine

No, not at all, but if I haven't done it in all these years Johnny, it probably ain't gonna happen :hilarious::hilarious:

10. lauragarnet

From TheSpruce:
    Three Types of Toleware
    By Troy Segal Updated 04/04/17
    Defining Toleware
    [..]The base for tole was fabricated of metal. Sheets of iron or steel were dipped in molten tin or pewter (which is an alloy of tin and copper) to form a foundation that could be decorated with paint or varnish. The resulting base material is often referenced as tinplate when toleware is described.

11. Aquitaine

OK, here's the scoop....just checked with one of those ridiculously strong magnets... it does NOT stick to the birds or the fruit (pears?), BUT DOES stick to everything else......

12. Aquitaine

And someone tell me if I'm wrong, but I get the feeling, that if one were to attempt to re-paint them they would have to be thoroughly cleared of paint and de-greased before attempting to apply any paint back on????? And would acrylics do the job??? They kind of look like someone might have tried re-touching them at some prior-to-us owning them!! I have NO idea how long Mom owned them before!!!

Christmasjoy, judy and KingofThings like this.
  13. lauragarnet

The non-sticky parts could be aluminum or pewter. Surely not silver!

I would guess the paint has protected the metal, whatever kind it is, from oxidizing over all these years, and where it's flaking off today it's as fresh and clean looking as the day this thing was made and painted.

@KingofThings could probably ID the metal for sure.

Christmasjoy, judy and KingofThings like this.
  14. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

It's likely they weren't primed correctly or at all and then more coats over paint already losing adhesion.
    If you strip it and care about matching paint you'd better take it to a paint store or large hardware store first to match with chips or take samples of it first.
    Any indication there could be brass or even copper employed here?
    It could very well be some malleable pot metal as well. It's a media that paint doesn't seem to want to adhere to.
    If you strip it Liquid Sandpaper may work or scuff it a lot with sandpaper then prime then paint it with compatible paint to the primer from one brand.
    I'd say hand prime and paint with enamel not acrylic.
    Any texture will only add to it in my opinion.

judy likes this.
  15. Aquitaine

THANKS, King!! IF, I attempt it, BIG IF, but if I do, will have to be a winter project!!! Any and ALL help much appreciated!!!!!

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  16. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

1960-1970's I'd say.

Christmasjoy and Aquitaine like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted