Featured Antique Ivory? Choker

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Anna Johndrow, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Anna Johndrow

Anna Johndrow Active Member

More of Great Grandma! Along with any information the experts can provide I am curious about two things...I am assuming the beads and the main piece are carved from ivory. In view of the limitations place on dealing with ivory at this time and the fact that this has been in the family for a gazillion years (Great Grandma left Burma in 1942 and returned to US territory-Puerto Rico-at that time) how does one go about offering this piece for sale? Could the beads be bone, rather than ivory? The beads and the main piece all have the same hue and shine. Also, the ornate silver could use a polish but I am unsure about what to use that will polish the silver but not damage the ivory? Any suggestions?

The choker is 15 inches long when fully stretched out. There are 30 carved beads. It appears that one time the leaves of the roses were painted green as a small amount of pigment remains. Some of the roses are tinted pink, some are not but I can't tell if they all used to be and only some of them faded completely or not. There are very intricate knots between each bead, giving them the separation one from the other. ivory choker.JPEG Ivory Choker CU half size.jpg ivory choker metal work dime.JPEG Ivory choker 2.JPEG ivory chocker beads.JPEG

I would love to learn about the subject matter in the carving and the (what is to me) unique clasp. I have never seen a necklace that clasps in this manner.

Thank you in advance for the information you can provide.

judy, kyratango, Any Jewelry and 6 others like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

judy and kyratango like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Many of us use a sunshine cloth when we don't want to use polish.
    upload_2020-6-10_18-41-10.png

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

So many tiny black/dark flecks throughout the necklace, I'm betting bone, but then I've been wrong before too....BUT I really like it!!!:):)

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Does the pendant setting allow the back of the carving to be seen? If so, can we see it, close up?

It's a dragon. Maybe @Any Jewelry can tell you more about what kind.

With that lead in, you took me by surprise when the end of the sentence wasn't: We wouldn't dream of parting with it. :)

6. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

I have several book chain necklaces that clasp in that way. Think they are Victorian period. Here is a picture of it closed.
    [​IMG]

7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I see them shown worn with the decorated panel to one side rather than straight down at the base of the throat.

Edit: Not the bookchain ones.

judy and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  8. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The clasp is a box clasp,they are made with many different designs. example.... https://sandyschor.com/product/box-clasp-gold-oval-setting-21x27mm-3-strand-each/

https://www.google.com/search?q=box...VXRDABHSZEC_AQ_AUoAnoECA4QBA&biw=1266&bih=721

If it is made of ivory it cannot be sold across state lines.I believe there are only 10 states which ban the sale of ivory in state,you would need to check local laws.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    judy and Bronwen like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a beauty, Anna.
    Bone doesn't always have dark hairlines or spots. It can be extremely uniform in colour, but ivory is more likely to have subtle very thin banding. Do you see alternating cream and yellowish thin bands?
    A photo of the back of the clasp would be useful. Please make sure you focus on the back, not on the background or another object in the photo. It is easiest to get a good focus against a white background, because it reflects light.
    It is a Chinese dragon, this kind of carving was usually done in the Canton (Guandong) region.
    The silver mount doesn't look very Chinese to me, so I think the dragon and the rose beads were made into a jewel somewhere else.
    Chinese gemstone, ivory and bone carved parts were often exported for use in jewellery in other parts of the world.
    These Canton carved dragons etc. became highly popular in the West ca 1815, and stayed popular throughout the 19th century. Decorative clasps that were worn at the front have been popular for even longer, and the box clasp is a pretty old technique. I always like those 'front clasps'.

Draft saved Draft deleted