Antique Japanese Glass Reverse Painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by georgeingraham, Jul 3, 2020.

1. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

yes indeed - just unfortunate that that painting isn't Japanese but mis-identified Chinese, as are most of these so-called "Japanese" things.

Jeff Drum, antidiem and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

No thanks, but glad to see you've dismounted from your high horse of all-knowing wikiness and website experience to mingle once again with us mere mortals.

Jeff Drum and antidiem like this.
  3. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Blooey, you need a new avatar. ;)
    blooey grumpy.jpg

antidiem and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I don't want to go on about it, but just to explain: many people visit Antiquers to find out what their treasured items are. That is why we do our best to find the origin, date, whodunnit, etc. and post it in the same thread. We aren't trying to rain on your parade, but to help you and others.
    I didn't think I was arguing, I thought I was helping to get to the truth, but I am sorry if I made you feel like I was arguing with you.

BoudiccaJones and antidiem like this.
  5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Maybe you could use one too, eh? mob.jpg

antidiem and Darkwing Manor like this.
  6. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

I have always struggled with telling Japanese from Chinese decorative and fine arts. I'd love to see someone here write up a tutorial on it. I own two 19th century eglomise portraits, after the works of Joseph Stieler, for Bavarian King Ludwig the First's Gallery of Beauty. Interestingly, the eyes look Asian. Based on that, I feel they are Chinese exports. Definitely not fine art, but an interesting example of Chinese commercial art for a Western audience. Mine are hopelessly buried in my storage, but I found a poor old photo of them in my parlour, and have included reference images of very similar ones I found on the Internet. Even the frames are identical. The eyes on mine are more Asian in shape than these two bottom examples. It was exciting doing the research to actually track down the names of the models, chosen for their beauty by Ludwig's agents They models were allowed to keep the dresses that they were painted in. King Ludwing 1 beauties Chinese export.jpg chinese export after KIng Ludwing Gallery of beauty.jpg King Ludwig 1.jpg

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

One of the ways is the dress and hairdo. Which is of no use with your fun portraits of course. I agree, they look Chinese made.
    Love your new avatar, btw.:) It is good to see that kind of humour.:playful:

8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Thank you, Blooey. It's got the "look" though..

You are obviously not alone here! ;)

blooey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted