Featured Antique Japanese Obi help

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by tyeldom3, Feb 5, 2023.

1. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

6CF77CE8-5AED-4EDA-8B6B-7C711925A275.jpeg C57E3E9D-BB05-43DE-98BF-277CA4060242.jpeg EEAF10F9-8E7E-4612-92F0-1CDF7AAFDCEC.jpeg C6F678F9-C666-4F2E-85E5-EDAAA0A53FC7.jpeg 1656CF4D-E460-44EA-95E3-AFDA22DD0711.jpeg 709ACCB4-A99A-4EBD-9514-ED84B7BBCBA7.jpeg Can anyone concur that this obi is from the late 1800’s? I had it appraised years ago and I forgot about it until now and I believe that’s what he told me. I lost all the information I had on it.
    Also, any help with describing the patterns would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance for any help at all!
    Measures approximately 12.5” wide by about 155” long.

judy, Lark, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

tyeldom3, judy and Jose Deleon like this.
  3. Jose Deleon

Jose Deleon Active Member

Going to be truthful am horrible in silk my first thought if it could be Japanese sash? That wraps the kimono med section. My first guess

4. Jose Deleon

Jose Deleon Active Member

Similar to this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3044507101...czjjwLxRSu&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

tyeldom3, judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that's a great guess.......since Tye already identified it as an Obi !!! Heehehe!

obi, wide sash or belt made of satin or a stiff silk material, worn since ancient times in Japan to secure the kimono. A woman's obi is about 12 feet (370 cm) long and 10 inches (25 cm) wide; a man's obi is about three-fourths as long and one-sixth as wide.

tyeldom3, Jose Deleon, judy and 3 others like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful, ty.:happy:
    I am no obi expert, I just love them, and have seen quite a few oldies. From my limited knowledge I'd say late 1800’s is correct.

The birds are hoo-oo, Japanese phoenix, a feminine symbol. Hoo-oo can be spelled different ways.
    The chrysanthemums are symbols of longevity and nobility.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
  7. tyeldom3

Thanks everyone so much. Any jewelry I really appreciate those descriptions!! Good to know/learn.

8. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I believe your obi would be classified as a "maru obi" -

Maru obi
    : The most formal obi belt of 33 cm in width and 4 m in length. This obi features beautiful patterns on both sides and a very thick, rigid and weighty fabric, making it difficult to put on.
    https://japan-avenue.com/blogs/japan/kimono-obi

Maru Obi used to be the standard formal obi. Written 丸帯, it literally means circular/round/loop belt, because it is formed from one strip of fabric folded in two, so the front and back are the same. The maru obi is quite heavy, and half of the elaborately decorated fabric will always be facing inwards never to be seen, so it's not as popular these days as it once was!
    https://shop.japanobjects.com/blogs/editorial/obi-belts

9. tyeldom3

Awesome, thank you so much!

Draft saved Draft deleted