Featured Antique Lace Hankerchiefs

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Aquitaine, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi
    Just found a big styrofoam box stuffed in a corner of a closet.....dug my way through and oh my.......one of the boxes inside has 11 unwashed but mostly UNstained antique hankerchiefs, and the other box has 14 very similar!!!! All are of varying sizes......I WILL GET PICTURES UP but after dinner.....have to get hubby out the door soon!!!! I also found 11 separate antique napkins I think are in great condition, and another bag (plastic) has an antique double damask 9' tablecloth with 12 matching napkins.....all beautifully fringed! Does ANY of this interest anyone!!!!! But before that, I will need to get the pictures up, and get some help on research!!!!! Thanks for your input!!!

Edit: This is all from my Mother's collection of antiques and what she "saved"
    on Block Island.....I was looking for a 'stash' of old receipts....of which there weren't many, sadly.....it's left me pretty 'hi and dry' in still trying to figure out the few things I still come across!!! I don't believe I have any relatives with a 9' table!!!!

Have to edit again.....when I unfolded each handkerchief to photo, I saw that most of them DO HAVE age staining on them......I don't know if it's permanent or not, but what a disappointment to me!! Even the never used tablecloth set has it!!!! Are there pros that can save these things??? I haven't had chance to add the sizes yet on the hankies, but if anyone wants to know, ask me........and my count was off....one box had 6 and the other has 11 or 13.....I'm addled at this point.......

And there are 3 hankies with some damage.......I know everything is not yet posted, and all of the stains aren't showing in the pictures.........more coming tomorrow.......I used up my space....HA HA!!!!!

Image 14.jpg Image 13.jpg Image 12.jpg Image 11.jpg Image 10.jpg Image 9.jpg Image 8.jpg Image 7.jpg Image 6.jpg Image 5.jpg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If the antiques guys don't want them, textile crafters will be all over a box like that!

3. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

If there are any historical Block Island items, I know the museum would be interested. We were there last summer and visited. It turns out hubby and I have ancestors ten generations back among the original settlers. Go figure.

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  4. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

You have a 9 foot table cloth?????? I have an 8 foot table! It has always been difficult to get cloths for it - no trouble for a bit shorter or or for a 12 footer, but an 8/9 foot is my nemesis..........

5. Aquitaine

Bev, I have to say that their museum has gotten much better over the years, but also over the years I had watched how some things there had deteriorated.......not 100% their fault when you live on a damp windy Island in a drafty 1800's building for a museum......MANY improvements have since been made, over the years, much to its credit.....decades ago my Mom became a lifetime member and was getting very involved with the historical society......was even invited to become a curator.......until one of the "old timers" also running it NOT SO politely uninvited her from that offer!!!!!! Ya kinda had to be 'born and bred there to be one of them!!!! So, even though I personally really LIKE the present curator, and have donated a few things here and there, I do know how things are run on that tight little Island.......and the Island will always have a piece of my heart, but feel no particular compunction to donate much more in that direction!!!!

BTW......I DO THINK that's amazing that you go back among the original settlers!!!!! Did you 'cruise the cemetery???????????

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Aquitaine

Hi Mansons,
    That's what the card says that my Mom wrote when she put it in the bag......when I take it out....I'll measure for sure, so we'll ALL know!!!!!

KingofThings likes this.
  7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have had wonderful results on cleaning up this type of linens. Hand wash and soak for a while in a mild soap mixture Rinse a lot of times, then blot any remaining
    stains in lemon juice and sprinkle salt on top place in sunlight light until dry. A lot of the stains are soap that never rinsed out after washing and oxidized. I always dry mine on the grass in the sun, force of habit.
    greg

8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Those are beautiful, Aquitaine!

Aquitaine and KingofThings like this.
  9. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

They are so pretty.

Aquitaine and KingofThings like this.
  10. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Lovely! This query of yours, Aquit..., is of special interest to me for I have a highboy full of my mother's tablecloths and napkins, lacy handkerchiefs, dollies, etc... My mother's died in 2003 at the age of 91. Many of the pieces were from both my grandmothers. I haven't tried sorting it all out. Greg's reply was of special interest for know some have "age staining." Also am interested in seeing ideas of those interested in such finds.

--- Susan

11. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Interesting, thanks for sharing, Greg.

Hmmmmm... the birds around here would use those hankies for target practice. ;)

--- Susan

12. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

I'm going to try Greg's stain remedy too.

13. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Very nice.
    Thanks for sharing.

14. Aquitaine

THANKS ALL!!!! It was fun re-finding all, and I do love them, but it's time to re-home them!!!!!!!

More coming in my next Thread!!!!

15. Aquitaine

@Mansons2005 I don't know if you saw my follow up thread with the post directed at you just for an FYI.....the tablecloth is NOT 9', but rather a more realistic +/- 89 1/2" Long, incl fringe; +/- 68 1/2" Wide, incl fringe; and the matching dozen 15" x 15" napkins incl fringe. JUST a general FYI, that's all!!

16. Aquitaine

TO ALL: ONE QUESTION ABOUT CLEANING??

I did some searching online and came up with a wealth of information on how to try to brighten and eliminate the age discoloration and staining on the handkerchiefs........have ANY of you used the product "Restoration" as opposed to "OxiClean"??? Amazon sells the Restoration for about $28. for a lb., and I was wondering if any of you had used that in particular?? Thanks for any help....... AGAIN :):):):):)!!!!!!!

17. Aquitaine

AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

18. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I wish we still had a vintage clothing board on Ebay; the Vinties knew stuff like this.

19. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

I have never tried "Restoration", but I use a boiling water method for cleaning (some) old linens. I usually mix Oxyclean & baking soda washing powder. I don't recommend the boiling method on colored linens, and only use it on sturdy linens like cotton & linen. You can google the boiling water method for old linens, if you want to read more about it.

Some of your hankies look machine made, some of them may be hand made lace, but I would need more time to take a good look at them. I noticed your other thread yesterday, and wanted to comment on some of those hankies too. I will go find the other thread....

20. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted