Antique Leather Wrapped Glass Flask Help!

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Millionspoons, May 17, 2024.

1. Millionspoons

Millionspoons New Member

Hi, I've been struggling with this flask (Picture is similar not the actual one)
    I recently bought this in Scotland and brought it home with the hopes of actually using it for what it was made for, Scotch! But, I was afraid of using it with out thoroughly cleaning it. So I filled it with Grain alcohol and left it for a couple days.

... turns out that was a very bad idea. The metal cap just sits over a glass neck and is glued on with something. The grain alcohol dissolved the glue and the cap fell off.

Now I have no idea how to glue it back on. What kind of glue did they use to glue on caps back then? And what kind of glue wont leach into my scotch and kill me?

I've looked all over online and no one has a good answer.

I appreciate any help!

[​IMG]

Bronwen likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

screw glue........do you have or can you find a piece of solid cork...... champagne cork...wine bottle......even the cheaper substitute cork like material in a cheap wine bottle...

it has to be cut to size for your cap opening.......so it stays there....

I've done it for my small flasks......maybe a good workaround for yours....:happy:

just make sure it's not a loose open cork.....as the seal has to be tight.;)

Bronwen likes this.
  3. Millionspoons

Millionspoons New Member

Hey, Thanks for the reply!

But I wanted to post the picture of the actual flask. I think I may have not explained it quite right. See how to whole cap and the metal threads are just completely disconnected? There is only a tiny space around the outside of the glass and the metal, Not enough for any kind of material to go in there, and there wasn't any when it fell off.

I do plan on replacing the rubber in the cap too though. I don't like the thought of a 70 year old (ish?) seal on the cap... who knows what's in there.

I pretty much know I need to just glue it back on there ... but I don't know what kind of glue to use... Something "food grade".... not sure.

upload_2024-5-17_19-0-46.jpeg

komokwa likes this.
  4. komokwa

Welcome !!
    and that's why we live & die with good clear photo's of the actual item...!

replace the rubber in the cap....with cork though..;)

Aquitaine likes this.
  5. Millionspoons

Millionspoons New Member

Exactly haha. I finally got the cap apart. Here are all the pieces. Just have to figure out how to attach it...

upload_2024-5-17_19-36-3.jpeg

upload_2024-5-17_19-37-9.jpeg

Attached Files:

kyratango and komokwa like this.
  6. komokwa

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It would have had a kind of plaster, rather than glue.

kyratango likes this.
  8. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Yes, in antique pieces usually metal on glass was held with a mix of plaster and animal hide glue! It doesn't resist to soaking...

komokwa likes this.
  9. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Personally I use this on dismantled scent-salts bottles:
    Resized_20240518_114700_24608375737591.jpeg

It is a gel, you have to put the right amount to not get it outside when the assembled pieces are pressed together (use a toothpick!) in the void, then firmly press and hold 30 seconds. Let sit without manipulation till next day to obtain the best hold!
    I don't bother with alimentary safety as nothing will touch it as it is on the exterior of the container;)

komokwa likes this.
  10. Millionspoons

Millionspoons New Member

Hmmm, That's really interesting I'll have to check that out! Thanks!

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted