Antique Metal holder

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Benjamin Sitton, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Benjamin Sitton

Benjamin Sitton New Member

Picked up at a estate sale of a former doctor. I couldn’t find and maker marks and the the painted writing on the bottom. It’s heavy but not sure if it’s brass. The painted bugs around the bottom are interesting. The chains and holders for the glass look to be copper. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attached Files:

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

I don't know. I love it though. The first Worlds Fair held in the U.S. to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the signing of the declaration of independence. Philadelphia is spelled wrong. I don't know if that means anything or not.

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

It really does not look as old as claimed in the "painted" words to me. The green patina was applied at some point, not naturally developed. Too even and too commonly done in the late 1900's to make something brand new look old timey. The little glass holders are for votive sized candles - don't know if that size would have existed (or even been useful) in 1776 (the supposed approximate date of creation.) The misspelling doesn't bother me, except that if it were intended to deceive an unwary buyer to convince them of provenance - which this frankly does not qualify as. 200 year old copper chain certainly would not be copper-colored any more.

Count me as a serious skeptic.

judy likes this.
  5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Bev, count me as serious skeptic too. Remember the recent piece someone posted with a similar glass candle holder (in blue color)? This piece reminds me of that one, although this one is nicer and less "cobbled looking" but I don't think it's more than 30 years old, although the glasses may be older.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted