Antique mirror - bubble frame - advice

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by HelenM, Nov 24, 2019.

1. HelenM

HelenM New Member

Hi - My mum has a mirror (it is one of a pair - we do not have the other one but know where it is and may be able to get it). It belonged to my fathers mother - she was a Von Borris and originally came from Germany. It is 16" tall and 10" wide. It is flat but has a bubble frame. The bubbles are concave - or convex not sure which but are part of the inside of the glass. Can anyone tell me anything about this mirror - where it likely came from - what age it roughly is please. It is in immaculate condition (the one we have anyway - I do not know about the other one). I have attached a photo of the front and back of it. I think it may be called a bubble frame mirror but know nothing about how it was made etc. I do remember the mirrors as a pair and they looked stunning together.
    Thanks in advance

Helen

Attached Files:

Darkwing Manor and Houseful like this.
  2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Concave is a shape that curves inward; a convex shape curves outward.

Photos can be deceiving, but it looks convex to me. You have it in hand - do the bubbles 'cave' away from you when reviewed from the front (conCAVE), or do they stick out towards you (convex).

judy likes this.
  3. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

I swear I've seen a mirror like this posted before, described as a scrying mirror.

4. HelenM

HelenM New Member

Thanks both. The mirror is at my mum's but the bubbles stick out. I did wonder if it was a witches mirror or something like that but can't find much info on the internet.

Helen

5. HelenM

HelenM New Member

Also wondered if it was Venetian as there do seem to be some similar that I have found but I think they are modern. These mirrors are definitely antique. They have been in the family for quite a while.
    Helen

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It belonged to your grandmother. How long is "quite a while?"

Debora

7. HelenM

HelenM New Member

Ok now you are asking. My dad was born in 1932 so it would have been in grans family before then. They gave up the Von in their name in the war and came over to England. My gran married her husband and became a Baskerville. I would hazzard a guess that they are early Victorian.
    Helen

8. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Those are feet on the back? Makes me wonder if this was originally on a table, maybe to hold a centerpiece?

9. HelenM

HelenM New Member

Hi Marie, feet would make sense. It would make it a multi use piece. I can imagine them on a table reflecting candlelight. The fittings on the back for the hanging of the mirror also look old.

Draft saved Draft deleted