Featured Antique mirror?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by ff424, Jul 2, 2017.

1. ff424

ff424 New Member

Howdy!
    I've got an antique question for ya. We just moved to Washington state, and I'm working on my man-cave. I found a mirror in the antique store, and it fit the room perfectly. The lady at the store thought it was from the late 1800s, and that it had "tiger wood" across the top.

I really don't know much (anything) about antiques. I was hoping someone on here might have some background info. I know it's kind of a reach, but if anyone has ideas I'd love to hear them.

I don't know if it helps, but the mirror appears to have spots "inside" the mirror (not on the glass surface). Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Also, I used Linseed oil to revitalize it after removing the dirt and dust with a vacuum brush. No other cleaners, chemicals, etc. I figured that was safe.

Attached Files:

2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Hi, ff, and welcome!

I can't help you with ID'ing your mirror, but I've resized your photos a bit & posted them here, so others can see them more easily:

img0 (103).jpg img0 (104).jpg

It's a very attractive mirror, and I'm sure someone here will be able to offer some info about it. (Please note that they may want to see the back, as well!)

3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome and please use the full image button for all your photos always and for up to 10 per post.

Aquitaine and Joshua Brown like this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the boards.

Your mirror is part of the American Oak period.
    1880s - pre WWI.
    I would put your mirror to the late 1800s.

What the dealer was calling tiger wood is actually quarter sawn oak.

Whether it was a stand alone mirror or part of a dresser I don't know.

@verybrad
    When he pops in, will be able to give you better info.

Christmasjoy, lloyd249, SBSVC and 4 others like this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Clutteredcloset is spot-on. 1890-1910 is the probable time period of production. I do think it once belonged to a dresser. Here is a similar one as it would have been mounted on the chest. The spots on the mirror are from the silvering on the back deteriorating a bit. Gives it character.

[​IMG]

6. ff424

ff424 New Member

That is very cool, thank you for the information! What type of wood do you think this is from? Was $200 a good price to pay for the piece?

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

It is oak with quartersawn oak veneer on the top piece (the striped part). In my neck of the woods (semi-rural Midwest), $200.00 would be a retail price for a complete dresser. Too much for just a mirror, IMHO. It is a nice one and values may differ in your area.

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Price is a subjective thing.
    You liked it. It fits what you were looking for at a price you were willing to pay.

Would you be able to get your $200 or more back if you sold it next month? Depending on where you are maybe, but in most areas today oak furniture is not as popular as it once was.

On the other hand, it is a mirror. Mirrors as decorative pieces tend to bring good prices in my area, Northern CA.

Also it is beveled and attractive. Not just a rectangular frame with mirror.

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I love the mirror!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Having practice great restraint in withholding posting any trivia or drivel until the "important" portion of this thread was concluded, I shall now hold forth with a memory inspired by the photo Brad posted..................

Back in the late 1930s we moved into the townhouse my Grandparents occupied, for the duration of WW II. The bedroom assigned to my parents was stuffed with heavy Victorian furniture (earlier that Brad's photo) and my mother insisted on refurbishing. Thus resulted what was know in the annals of family history as the Great Mirror War between my mother and my grandmother (her mother-in-law).

Gram had no problem with moving out the old furniture, but when Mama's "Moderne" stuff was brought in Gram told Mama she was a fool and she would be sorry.....................The room was painted and papered, the furniture came in and the mirrors were hung over the dresser and over the dressing table...........they stayed there for about a month and Mama decided that the furniture arrangement didn't suit, so she shuffled things around, which necessitated having the mirrors rehung...................which necessitated having the painters/paperers back..............at which point Gram started her "I told you so" routine.....................according to Gram "proper" dressing tables and chests had the mirror attached for just this reason - you could move the furniture without the expense of redecorating.................for years and years when ever Mama and Gram (who cordially disliked each other) would have a disagreement Gram would pull the "I know best, wasn't I right about the mirrors?" card.................and I once heard my mother say to my father "If I thought it wouldn't be lost in a void, I'd shove that mirror down your mother's throat".....................and that was in the 1960s, 25 years AFTER the incident...................

Draft saved Draft deleted