Antique (or close) pocket watch question

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Lucille.b, May 25, 2024.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Base metal pocket watch from a recent garage sale. (Might have been $1.) Was surprised that it actually worked when I got it home and wound it.

HOWEVER... running into an issue when trying to change the time. I assume I lift the crown until I hear a "click", but when I try pulling the crown up, it doesn't move. I tried with a fair amount of force and the crown didn't budge. I didn't want to break anything so stopped.

I'm doing it correctly, right?

b3.jpg

b4b.jpg

kyratango and komokwa like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's an Ingraham "dollar" watch, so the surprise is part of it works at all. To change the time, pull up on the crown and twist to move the hands. If it doesn't pull, try unscrewing the glass over the face, using one of those kitchen jar grabby things to get a good grip. I'm betting it's screw-threaded and will just come off with a little encouragement. I've found similar before.

kyratango, komokwa and Lucille.b like this.
  3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Thanks, Ruth. :)

komokwa likes this.
  4. Sami Irabe

Sami Irabe New Member

You're right, most pocket watches require you to remove the crown in order to change the time. However, there may be a few reasons if the crown won't budge even applying some force:

Dried oil, dirt, or debris may have adhered the crown. To get rid of any debris, try using a soft brush or cloth to wipe the area surrounding the crown carefully.
    A screw-down crown is a feature on certain pocket watches that keeps dust and moisture out of the device. In this instance, to set the time, you must first unscrew the crown counterclockwise before pulling it out. There might be a different way for the watch to tell the time. Before you may set the time on some pocket watches, you may need to release the crown with a specific tool or click a button.

5. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Pocketwatches, in general, change time in a variety of ways:

1. Key-set.

This is for REALLY OLD pocketwatches. Not applicable here.

2. Pin-set.

Popular from late 1800s onwards. No pin here.

3. Pendant-set.

The most common. Yank up the crown, twiddle it around, and then pop it back in.

4. Lever-set.

Unscrew the bezel, pop out the setting lever, twiddle the crown and then pop the lever back in.

In MOST CASES, the watch will be pendant-set. If it's not moving, then it's clogged or jammed somehow.

Draft saved Draft deleted