Featured Antique? Or Not So Much? Indian Krishna Silk Painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by Vesuvia, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Vesuvia

Vesuvia Active Member

Hola, Hello, Howyudoon! So, I found this wonderful painting the other day and just bought it was amazing! Very pretty and how anyone manages to paint such rich and vibrant images on what amounts to a thin slice of silk (it appears to be silk, anyhow) without it bleeding through and soiling the whole entire section of fabric is beyond me. I’d have a muddy mess by the third stroke :|.

Anyhow, my question for y’all lovely individuals is how can I determine how old a piece like this is? Is there any special way it should be stored? Currently it’s rolled (as I found it) into a scroll type situation with no protection over the paint and where it touches the back part. Is it worth getting it appraised? I think those are good places to start off! Hope everyone is doing and feeling well! 38AE8A22-3A10-45AF-A12D-179206FF3369.jpeg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Lovely painting, Vesuvia, and correctly identified as Krishna. He is seen dancing Rasa Lila with the Gopis or cowgirls during the Sharad Purnima or Harvest Moon festival. He is depicted several times, because he multiplied himself so every Gopi though he was dancing just with her.
    The power of Krishna.;)
    I can't tell the age from the photo, we would need to see more, but most of these are not antique.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    judy, Christmasjoy and Vesuvia like this.
  3. Vesuvia

Vesuvia Active Member

Yeah, I suspected it might be newer than antique, there isn’t much in the way of paint loss or any real indication that it wasn’t, at the most, vintage. Too bad that! I got all sorts of excited for a moment to see some that look less skillfully painted than this one selling for astounding prices. Wow! I thought! Woulda made my whole month to get anywhere near what I’ve seen them listed as for the $.25 I paid for it at a yard sale . At the very least, it’ll look very pretty framed up on my wall!

I’ll take a few more photos to share, is there anything that you would want to see that might help determine age? And thank you for your response!

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Just details of the front and back. The general style hasn't changed for centuries, so unfortunately that isn't something to go by.
    Still a bargain, I think.

judy and Aquitaine like this.
  5. Vesuvia

Vesuvia Active Member

Sorry for the delay! So, here are a few up close & personals of this piece. Taking a closer inspection, it does appear to be older, very finely detailed, and the faces and expressions are just downright beautiful. I like it very much. I’m a little concerned about the possibility of it unraveling though, the fibers all along the edges are...precarious.

56562381-543C-4308-AA21-B87E0910EA64.jpeg 93B340C0-103C-4332-BFD7-EBACF99E0B1D.jpeg 8ECE88F9-A536-45B8-B7B2-596DCE3CA4DE.jpeg CE19A789-7CCA-44F7-A37B-B7DA89256F17.jpeg

6. Vesuvia

Vesuvia Active Member

Posted some more photos of this pretty painting. What do you think? Cheers!

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted