Antique Owen Coat Of Arms Watercolor

Discussion in 'Art' started by kardinalisimo, Oct 20, 2017.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

IMG_6049.JPG IMG_6050.JPG IMG_6051.JPG The notation on the back says circa 1830 but I wonder if there is a way to verify that?

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

judy likes this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

4. kardinalisimo

Why do I need a post card from Zazzle?

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I have found that those commercial heraldry sites are not very trustworthy when it comes to portraying family crests.
    My family has a perfectly good, old coat of arms, recognized by the Dutch 'Patrician Registry' (the Low Countries were historically mostly governed by a non-aristocratic elite called patricians). But when I researched the history of it, I came across the strangest, often imaginary, crests on commercial heraldry sites.
    Btw, the "institute" in the link doesn't even know my family name, shame on them.;)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  6. kardinalisimo

Do you think that this piece was made for a specific family or it's more like a general painting?
    Any idea if that castle in the background was an existing or fantasy one?

IMG_6077.JPG IMG_6078.JPG

7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I did find this on a particular Owen family lineage. The first one sounds like it might be the correct one. No idea how to know how old the painting is though. I don't suppose there is a watermark on the paper is there?

Google books: The Genealogical and Heraldic Dictionary of the Peerage and Baronetage of the British Empire by John Burke ESQ from the sixth edition 1839.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aquitaine and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

There is something a little more here. In addition to the coat of arms, with the motto on the ribbon, think I see at the bottom the words 'I WENT'? Commemorative of participation in a battle/war? An addition that indicates a particular branch of the Owen family?

9. Any Jewelry

Gwent, in Wales.
    Isn't Bronwen a Welsh name?;)

10. Any Jewelry

There are several famous castles in Gwent. @rhiwfield lives in Wales, maybe this castle still exists?

11. kardinalisimo

IMG_6094.JPG Actually, the bottom reads Owen.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

13. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

The Owen link is to Pembroke, but castles in Wales are so numerous and I don't recognise those ruins.

Might be worth checking out the castles around Pembroke.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  14. kardinalisimo

IMG_6510.JPG IMG_6511.JPG Well, took it out of the frame finaly. Paper is marked "WJ".
    WJ Reeves?

Draft saved Draft deleted