Featured Antique owl book chain???

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by gauntlettgems, Oct 9, 2020.

1. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

8AF43275-6C43-4EB3-B158-026B67E5B433.jpeg 6644BDD4-498E-4C72-8BA9-C0E0EA7F1E31.jpeg BC4B57C5-7105-47BD-9057-E5C4408D265A.jpeg AF2D2CAF-20A9-489B-BE0F-0B0FB183226C.jpeg

I thought this was so unique. I figured by the spring ring that it is antique. I’m calling it a bookchain but am I wrong. I can’t find anything like it. The bottom I thought would open but there is no hinge. Looks like onyx and carnelian on the other side. I think it is plated or filled.

what do guys think about the age, origin and anything else! The owls are so cute!!!

it’s the weekend!! 3 days. Woot woot

Figtree3, KSW, quirkygirl and 10 others like this.
  2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

That clasp is called a sport ring and is earlier than the ones with the tabs ;)

Any Jewelry, judy, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

No, you are correct.

KSW, Any Jewelry, judy and 3 others like this.
  4. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Book chains usually have the same design on both sides of the chain. Does yours?

KSW, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. gauntlettgems

@patd8643 No, thetop pic shows both sides Owl face and a starburst like pattern on the other

KSW, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's still sweet !!! Hoot Hoot !!!!!:hilarious:

judy, kyratango and gauntlettgems like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Get in line, you. ;)

I love the wee owls on the chain.

10. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I think it was a really good purchase. Very unusual, and people love owls! I think it has some definite age-- first half of the 20th century I would think.

KSW, gauntlettgems and komokwa like this.
  11. gauntlettgems

Well, at least it seems to be remotely desirable! Lol. I’m trying to research to list it properly. Wish me luck!

patd8643 and KSW like this.
  12. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

What a lovely piece. I love things like this. Duffers question here- does book chain relate to the shape of the links or anything to do with books?

13. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

That is really nice - I'd think circa 1880s, likely rolled gold...

~Cheryl

14. gauntlettgems

I’m not that versed in the style but supposedly it’s because the links looked like books.

Oooh, 1880. Cool!!!

15. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Kind of screams that period, right down to that 'square-on-point' pendant, with the owl a popular motif. Can't shake the feeling I've seen a similar pendant/fob charm in one of my books or catalog, or maybe just when I was looking for a fob charm to use as a pendant. No time to poke through my references at the moment, but here is a page of similar chains on Morning Glory's site, taken from an 1887-89 Roddin & Co. catalog, a Chicago wholesale jeweler:

https://www.morninggloryjewelry.com...dwardian/victorian-photos-lockets-and-slides/
    bookchains-roddincatalog1887-89-morningglory.jpg

~Cheryl

16. gauntlettgems

KSW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted