Antique pin

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Elsa Pieterse, May 3, 2021.

1. Elsa Pieterse

Elsa Pieterse Active Member

Goodday everyone.

I found this old pin marked Moria? 5.2.1901
    Can anyone help with some information. I am stumped. I don't even know if this is the correct category for this item...

Regards.
    Elsa PicsArt_05-03-08.05.45.jpg PicsArt_05-03-08.06.05.jpg PicsArt_05-03-08.06.25.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Does it say Moira? Girls name.Difficult to see, can you give it a gentle clean?

judy likes this.
  3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I think it says Maria and the fastening at the back is protruding through the front making the "a" look like an "o"

pin.PNG

pin2.PNG

4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Looking at your location, and the date 1901, I would say this is probably a memorial / mourning brooch for a victim of the Boer War.

komokwa, KikoBlueEyes, KSW and 3 others like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Elsa, does it feel like wood? Or do you have 'bog oak' jewellery in SA?
    Could you show us a side view where that one piece is broken off?

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Moria is an abbreviation for memento moria. That means remembrance in Latin.

komokwa and Elsa Pieterse like this.
  7. Elsa Pieterse

Elsa Pieterse Active Member

Hi there. I don't know 'bog oak' jewelry . I took some more pics. I hope this helps. The material does resemble wood. PicsArt_05-03-04.53.50.jpg PicsArt_05-03-04.54.18.jpg

Hamburger, KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Except it's memento mori, a reminder that death is always near. It looks like bog oak to me & wonder if it's not a simple souvenir for a girl named Maria.

KSW, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

There's also memento moria, which is remembrance. ;) Long time since I did Latin but some stuck. I've seen pieces here with just moria, and you get it on tombstones. (Now channelling Lord of the Rings. )

Bronwen, KSW and komokwa like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree, it is bog oak.

If Maria was a victim in the Boer War, I wonder if the staunchly Dutch Reformed Church Boers would have had a remembrance brooch made for her.
    I know similar conservative Protestants here in the Netherlands would think it far too flamboyant. Maybe even arrogant to commemorate a mere mortal (idolatry?), and with a piece of jewellery, of all things.
    The ancestors of the Boers were Protestants who left several European countries to get away from anything that reeked of this kind of thing, among other things.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    Elsa Pieterse and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted