Featured Antique Pins...any idea on age?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by moontymes, Apr 20, 2015.

1. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

These came in this one jewelry box, shown here. They are all pretty small, the small measuring only 1/4". They all seem to be American as they are marked 14k.
    Questions:
    1)What is the significance of the crown with enameled wings? I thought RAF, but there is no RAF monogram, so what would it be? It's got old mine diamonds in it in addition to the pearls
    2)how old are these....I'm thinking early 20th.
    3)Were these sold as a set? I'm thinking they are with the exception of the round white gold one with the aquamarine.
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

• je1.jpg
      je1.jpg
      File size:
      114.1 KB
      Views:
    • je2.jpg
      je2.jpg
      File size:
      82.6 KB
      Views:
    • je3.jpg
      je3.jpg
      File size:
      161.4 KB
      Views:
    • je4.jpg
      je4.jpg
      File size:
      135.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The clasp on the one with the crown and wings certainly has a 19th-century appearance! I'll leave it to others to say for sure... I like it, and also like seed pearls in general. They are all lovely.

KingofThings and moontymes like this.
  3. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

On the back of the "winged" pin, is that a mark I see in your photo?

If it is a mark, do the other two you think might belong to the/a set have the same mark anywhere?

Just curious, but what is the writing in the lid of the box in one of your photos?

KingofThings likes this.
  4. moontymes

Thanks guys. The marks are so small on the others that I couldn't see them, but a jeweler told me they were there, and that they were all 14k. The writing on the lid is sooooo faded but it looks like something "Patterson".

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the winged crown is fantasy not military ..

KingofThings likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

if it were a tattoo .....

10.Wings and crown tattoo designs
    Royalty is the main meaning behind crown tattoo design. When it is combined with wings then designer want to portray freedom of power and authority.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. moontymes

Thank you komokwa! I really appreciate it!

KingofThings likes this.
  8. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

WOW!

9. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Ummm, a 1/4" pin would be very small indeed...

The dating of all would be similar, from right around the 1890s to the 1910s, wouldn't have been any kind of set - from what I can see, the enameled winged crown appears to bear an A.J. Hedges mark (I've been coveting their mixed-metal 'pinned fabric' bracelets for years). It's a nice little group, even with the bit of damage to the enamel, a lot of very similar jewelry was produced by Hedges and other Newark jewelry manufacturers (the crescents are often referred to as honeymoon pins).

~Cheryl

10. moontymes

Cheryl, thank you so much! That's exactly the mark! I couldn't get a very close image with my camera, so I am VERY impressed that you were able to see that. :) Amazing!
    Would you sell these as a lot or separately, in your opinion?

KingofThings likes this.
  11. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Separately.

The crescent moon is probably early 1900s. Very popular motif at that time.

KingofThings likes this.
  12. DragonflyWink

If mine, would sell them separately (did you mean maybe 3/4" rather than 1/4" for the smallest piece?)

Pretty little pieces like these were popular for a fairly long period, might find some a bit earlier and would also find them a little later than the examples below:

1889:
    crescentpins1889bha.JPG

1919:
    crescentpins1919awsmith.JPG

~Cheryl

13. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Moon,
    Fabulous pins! I would wear the winged crown in a second. Should explain I usually wear small marachite pins in the label of my suit jacket but that winged crown would be a favorite.
    greg

KingofThings and silverthwait like this.
  14. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

I'm very fond of seed pearls too, and those pins are just adorable!!

KingofThings likes this.
  15. moontymes

Thanks Cheryl for those pics...those look very much like mine. And thanks for your comments gregsglass and silverthwait. I guess I will sell individually although the tiny crown and the enameled winged crown pin look like they go together. What to do, what to do?

16. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

List separately, but refer to the others in the write-up. :)

moontymes and yourturntoloveit like this.
  17. DragonflyWink

The two crowns were not originally together, in my experience, you'll have a better return selling them separately...

~Cheryl

18. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I think the round pearl brooch is later than the others - 1950s probably. The winged crown looks to be the oldest. It still has a tube hinge, and those were gone here by 1900. I'd say split them up too unless you're selling for the gold weight. They're worth more than that.

19. hamptonauction

hamptonauction Well-Known Member

Can we get a side view, the winged crown, might be a watch pin.

20. DragonflyWink

Agree with Andy that the winged crown looks like it might be a watch pin, with the wire used to form the catch extending to form the hook - the pic below shows the back of my avatar, a watch pin with a wire hook (though oriented differently), circa 1900-10, by Riker Bros, another Newark maker. The handcrafted tube hinges and wire catches were very common into the early years of the 20th century here, and commonly used even later elsewhere, I have a Norwegian enamel brooch with both, bought new for me in the mid '70s.

Though unclear on my monitor, the other three look to have tiny jeweler-crafted lever catches, and along with the little riveted ball hinges, would be typical on the small pins from the late 19th century into the 1920s - despite the popularity of circle pins in the mid 20th century, doubt the one here is that late, with the white gold, would guess dating around the 1910s (sometimes sold as 'friendship circles'), while the other three are more likely 1900-10, though any might be a bit later or earlier. The extended pin on the circle would also be uncommon on a mid 20th century piece...

dragonflyriker2.jpg

~Cheryl

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    spirit-of-shiloh and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted