Antique Porcelain Mantle Clock. Gilbert

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by janettekay, Jul 11, 2014.

1. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

This was my grandmothers (maybe her mother's) porcelain mantle clock. Face is marked Gilbert..body has only a printed (in old type script) No. 427 and 427 impressed on side markings.. Not sure if in working condtion..(though I doublt it)..Actually in good cosmetic condtion for age.. I looked up Gilbert and have info..but wondering about the case. Is it German, American, or ?????? Any and all info appreciated. TIA janette

[​IMG]

2. janettekay

Sorry...forgot details....10 1/2"H 4 1/2" D and 9" W at bottom. Weighs 8 lbs.

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Probably American but the porcelain body is likely German. Wait for Afantiques he hates all of these clocks. lol
    greg

4. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Somewhere between France and Germany

It may well have maker's marks inside

5. janettekay

thank you both..! I will check inside for additional markings...! My family was from area in Germany near France !!!

6. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

The case and clock were married in Connecticut

7. janettekay

How interesting! You sure know a lot about this clock!

8. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Possibly Royal Bonn for the case, or a similar firm. The colour can only be described as 'remarkable' but it clashes nicely with whatever that is in the background.

There is a good chance it works, these clocks are pretty bombproof apart from broken springs because they were a non precision product, where a fine clock might have stopped, these will soldier on because a bit of wear does not have so much effect on something that was made with big initial tolerances. They can be pretty noisy, though, notably when striking. If you have the pendulum and the suspension is not broken try winding it up.

True,I'm not a fan of these clocks, but the case is of such a colour (I'd call it 'Hollywood Comedy Bridesmaid dress purple' but the floor is open for other nominations) that this one one has a certain compelling awfulness similar to the impulse some have towards jumping off high places - you have to resist it, but somehow............... I'd put it in my awful art collection.

9. janettekay

LOL!!!! I call it bubblegum pink..

I guess I should see if it works before I list it...I do have the key..but not sure which hole to put it in (there are 2) and which way to turn..! I fear do more harm than good.

10. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Wind both holes, one is going train and the other is the strike train. Wind whichever way you can, I can't remember if this model has what I'd call inwards winding, most will be clockwise wind. A stop prevents it being wound the wrong way.

11. janettekay

Thanks...but it does not seem to be winding not matter which way I turn...either side.

ALSO...I found a date on the "works" (on one of the brass pieces) ...stamped..April 28 1896.

Now I am wondering if even worth listing if not in working condition ! (as far as I can tell anyway)

12. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I would list it, someone who buys it most likely wants the case. It looks purple but you say it bubblegum pink.
    greg

13. janettekay

Hi again all....FYI...this clock is now listed in our "sell" section...;)

Draft saved Draft deleted