Featured Antique Portrait of a Chinatown Tong War 'Hatchet Man' or 'Highbinder'

Discussion in 'Art' started by bosko69, Jul 14, 2023.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Here's an etching by A.B. Dodge of a Chinese Tong War 'Hatchet Man' (a Tong soldier/enforcer).The were called 'Highbinders' because supposedly they bound their pigtail queues up into a bun under their hat so that an enemy could not grab it.

San Francisco’s Chinatown had multiple Tongs. It would be Highbinders who would serve as soldiers during the Tong Wars of the 1880’s to 1906.
    The Tong Wars ended with the reform that followed the 1906 Earthquake.

Albert B. Dodge was an illustrator for local San Francisco newspapers from 1890 until 1901.

I found this at a local Garage Sale,on the back is a birthday dedication from a child to a parent.

High1.jpg

High2.jpg

High3.jpg

Highbinders 1886.jpg

highbinders weapons.jpg

2. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

WAY cool, bosko!

charlie cheswick, komokwa and Boland like this.
  3. bosko69

Isn't that wild Whit-I got a kick out of it when I learned the meaning of 'Highbinder'.
    The questions I'd like answered-
    1.'What's the significance of holding up two fingers ?'
    2.'Do the posters say anything,or is that just artistic gibberish ?'
    The answer's probably somewhere in The X Files or Warehouse 13.

4. wlwhittier

I recall seeing a movie in my early teens...a B&W flick called "Tong Wars", iirc. One scene showed an enforcer confronting his mark, an' saying something like 'prepare to die'...an' the other guy meekly did just that! That brief encounter really left an unforgettable impression on me.

charlie cheswick and komokwa like this.
  5. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Agreed! Nice find and interesting to learn about.

charlie cheswick likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

interesting and creepy at the same time..!!!

Warrior....a recent TV series about that time..... and reasonably well made !!

7. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Two fingerered salutes come from the days of archery. Archers fingers would be cut off by the enemy to disable their military ability. Showing of said fingers was rubbing their noses in it. Look I've still got my fingers. Ner

Oh you mean in the picture? Haven't a clue. Sorry All the kidz do it on Facebook nowadays ya know :rolleyes:

8. Antiquefab

Antiquefab Well-Known Member

Nice find Bosko.See another etching similar to yours titled [The Lookout ] may have been a series of etchings that he made.

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Not really a salute, but a sign of defiance.
    According to some British historians, the V-sign was first used by the English archers at the Battle of Agincourt (1415), to show the French that they still had their fingers and could still use their longbows, an important weapon.

Of course the Highbinders didn't know about Agincourt, nor did they use English longbows in the streets of San Francisco’s Chinatown, but that wasn't what you meant.:playful:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2023
  10. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

Is the dedication on the back of that print!!?? Were I the parent, I'd run for the hills!

charlie cheswick likes this.
  11. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

It's the long fingernails that make it look a bit sinister

What is with that

Very cool indeed though

sabre123 likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Long fingernails were a sign that you didn't have to do manual labour. So a status symbol.;)

13. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

Just like bound feet for the women.

Now which group got the short end of THAT stick!

14. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Very interesting, I fine it would be current in todays world. That is if in todays world they still cut off ones fingers to disable one’s criminal activity:nailbiting:. One could not pull a trigger. YIKES! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: J’KING

15. wlwhittier

Now THAT'S an idea worthy of High-Level Debate! Sounds pretty fair, to me.

mmarco102 likes this.
  16. bosko69

I asked my Lady if she thought the long fingernails were an exaggerated racist 'Fu Manchu' stereotype ? Maybe,but she also said this guy lived in S.F. during the 19th century Tong/Highbinder Wars,was a reporter & illustrator,had undoubtedly observed these guys in person-perhaps it was a status symbol.
    The Tongs are still very active in many Chinese communities and are now basically benevolent community associations.
    Today's 'Highbinders' are now simply called Gangs or Triads.
    Here's a video of a gang massacre that occurred at the Golden Dragon Restaurant in S.F. in 1977.

17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

SORRY.....NO.... don't need or care to see that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any Jewelry and Potteryplease like this.
  18. bosko69

PS-The only thing I knew about the Tong Wars was 'Big Trouble In Little China'...or basically nothing !
    Weird,because for about 40 years we lived about an hour from San Francisco and Chinatown was one of my favorite places to go.
    PSS-Can anyone translate the writing on the wall ?

19. wlwhittier

Yup, me too...I skip all the gore, especially onna news.

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  20. bosko69

The superb Arnold Genthe-Chinatown at night early 1900's.

Tong Genthe Night.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted