Antique print - can anyone read this signature?

Discussion in 'Art' started by DrPam, Jun 28, 2020.

1. DrPam

DrPam Active Member

I purchased this print about 30 years ago because I loved the subject matter and frame. I've been unable to figure out the name of the artist even though the signature seems fairly clear. Does anyone want to toss out a guess? Plus, does anyone know the meaning of the initials "E.J.T." above the signature? (Initials and signature are located at the bottom right of the print.) Many thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

judy likes this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. DrPam

DrPam Active Member

Wow! That was fast! I tried lots of last names but never Clem, and there he is in my Google search. Many thanks!

Christmasjoy, judy and i need help like this.
  4. i need help

Your very Welcome, if you find your print, let us know. BTW I think it’s an etching, but not sure. Others will be along.

5. DrPam

DrPam Active Member

You're right, it is an etching. And I found two others he made that were offered for sale from online art sale sites. He was not a well-known artist but at least I now know he's "legit" (not just a "one and done") because he applied for a copyright on one of his pieces back in 1891 or so.

6. i need help

Not certain he is the artist or perhaps the engraver.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  7. i need help

Can you provide a close up from the name on the bottom left? Looks like Taylor, maybe that is EJT.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  8. DrPam

DrPam Active Member

I will in the morning . . . and apologize for the delayed response. I think he's the artist because on the others I found with his signature there was no "E.J.T".

9. DrPam

DrPam Active Member

I'm glad you asked about the other signature because I completely forgot to ask about that one! I'll put the blame on too much multitasking . . .

Attached Files:

10. DrPam

DrPam Active Member

I just posted the reply and now I'm thinking this is, indeed, the engraver because the E.J.T. seems to relate to the name that now appears to me to be E (possibly Edgar?) J. Taylor. I couldn't make any of it out until you suggested that "Taylor" was the last word in that scribble.

i need help likes this.
  11. i need help

12. i need help

That does look right to me, and I find an artist with that name but not that scene. Also can’t find a photo of signature.

13. DrPam

DrPam Active Member

Found him! Interestingly, he is listed but Clem is not.

Attached Files:

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted