Featured Antique Purses - any info and value appreciated

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Vanessance, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Vanessance

Vanessance New Member

Hi, I have a couple of purses I need some info for. One has a card in it and says it's Turkish (purple material with gold threading and floral design) and from the 18th century - Photo attached.
    I have no idea about the second purse - looks older but also possibly Turkish?
    Any info appreciated. I have no idea how much they are worth.
    Thank you

Attached Files:

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

CA850511-F8D5-44FC-B9B9-02C8C0A1CD28.jpeg 210B6197-3470-445B-B1C0-BBA60EA33F7F.jpeg Welcome to the Forum, Vanessance! :)
    Click Full Image next time you post photos. They are very pretty. ;)

kyratango, axelrich, kingcake and 5 others like this.
  3. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I don't see very much age. the second one perhaps 1920s, the other one even younger.
    could you show a pic of the card ?

judy likes this.
  4. Vanessance

Vanessance New Member

Sure Fid - photo uploaded. I inherited the purses and they have been in the family for at least 60 years. They were bought at auctions back in the day. turkish-2.jpg

5. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Vanessance!

Welcome to Antiquers!

Pretty purses.

6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

This auction has a bag similar to your "Turkish" one. It says 1870's but mentions that it had been described as late 17th C. at one point.

I'm wondering if your is 18th C. "style".

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/61028391_metallic-embroidered-bag-with-tassels-1870s
    Turkish-style black velvet drawstring pouch having a parapet top with heavy metallic gold cord decoration, silk drawstring with ball finials, side and bottom tassels with sequins, silk lining, DLM tag dated the bag as late 17th C, museum research has it as 1870s, 8 x 6. Excellent.
    [​IMG]

7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

that paper is not convincing as proof. for me that is. although the form and materials are the same I'd countercheck against newer pouches; styles don't change as fast in the orient as in Paris, London, Milano..

judy likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Gorgeous purses Vanessance. The second one is from India.
    Could you take pics of the insides so we can see the lining of both? And a photo of the sequined part of the second one please.

kyratango, Vanessance and i need help like this.
  9. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Yes, gorgeous. I would also love to see closeups of the needlework of both!

Vanessance and i need help like this.
  10. Vanessance

Vanessance New Member

Hi all. As requested, I have attached more photos. What do you think? :eek:)
    turkish-0.jpg turkish-5.jpg turkish-3.jpg turkish-4.jpg Purse-05.jpg Purse-06.jpg Purse-03.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted