Featured Antique Radio Cabinet? Help identify please!

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Sarah Gieseke, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Sarah Gieseke

Sarah Gieseke New Member

Hi! I recently went to a goodwill in my town (Escondido, CA, USA) and found this gorgeous piece! All I know about it is that it's maybe a radio cabinet and maybe Ukranian. I found the tapestry in there too, but all I know is that it's vintage and of an Islamic Market, and has a stamp on it so its probably mass produced. Other than that I don't really know. Thank you!

2. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Somehow I got into the Gallery?
    Anyway, Toledo Spain.
    3A9451BC-90C6-44C8-BCC6-699FD19BFE07.jpeg

3. Sarah Gieseke

Sarah Gieseke New Member

Thank you!!

Houseful and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Definitely a radio cabinet, mid to late 1920's. Be hard to ID the maker unless you can find labeling on back or underside. Radio's were expensive in the 20's and their cabinets were very nicely done . . . nice find - cool piece.

5. Sarah Gieseke

Sarah Gieseke New Member

There's a spot that looks like there used to be a maker mark, but it's been removed.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Spanish Revival and very of its time as popular architectural style in California in the 1920s.

Debora

original.jpg

Fern77, Sarah Gieseke and Tanya like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

By way, I think you mean "Arab market." Islam is a religion, not a culture. ("Islamic market" is like saying "Christian market" which, of course, doesn't make sense.)

Your tapestry appears to be in "as new" condition and is likely contemporary to the cabinet. Machine made, these were typically from Belgium or France.

Debora

Fern77 and Sarah Gieseke like this.
  8. Sarah Gieseke

Sarah Gieseke New Member

Thank you!! I saw the tapestry online and it was described as "Islamic Market" so I wasn't sure what to call it. I think it has a "made in belgium" stamp on the back but its pretty faded. I really appreciate your help!

Debora likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted