Featured Antique ring

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lyuba 2607, Mar 11, 2021.

?

I need help to identify and value ring

Poll closed Mar 18, 2021.
  1. Don't know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Don't know

100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Lyuba 2607

Lyuba 2607 New Member

Screenshot_20210309-130321_Viber.jpg Screenshot_20210309-130246_Viber.jpg Screenshot_20210309-130215_Viber.jpg Screenshot_20210309-130121_Viber.jpg Hi, can somebody help me to identify and value this ring please?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2021
    George Chaney, judy, KSW and 3 others like this.
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

The symbol is the 'Eye of Providence' which is a masonic emblem, value is going to depend a lot on the weight and grade of gold.

George Chaney, judy, komokwa and 5 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Lyuba. Where did you find the ring?

In Roman Catholicism it is also called the "All-seeing Eye of God'. When I was a child we had one in the dome of our local church, and I was fascinated by it.
    The inscription 'Bog znami' means 'God be with us' in Slovenian, but given your name you already knew that.:)
    I don't know if there are Masonic lodges in Slovenia, or if this is a Catholic ring.

St. Jan Cathedral, Den Bosch, the Netherlands:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    Firemandk, doreen, judy and 8 others like this.
  4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Plus the fact that the design is very worn down :(

KSW, i need help and Ce BCA like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

If it's Catholic, it won't be Masonic, if you see what I mean. We were taught that Masonry was heathen. ;)

Having said that, my devoutly Catholic great grandfather founded a Masonic Lodge!

6. Any Jewelry

Exactly.
    Some of my grandfather's brothers were Masons and they were a very Catholic family. Mind you, they were Dutch, so heretics no matter what.:hilarious:

Firemandk, judy, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  7. David Kiehl

David Kiehl Well-Known Member

You never cease to amaze me with what you know! I am in awe of the depth of your knowledge! I hope our paths will cross in this world before we meet on the other side.

judy, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

:shame: Thank you, David.:)

9. Lyuba 2607

Lyuba 2607 New Member

Many thanks to everyone for help
    My brother found this ring in Ukraine , but unfortunately he didn't find enough information in Ukraine about this ring ...

Any Jewelry, Ownedbybear and judy like this.
  10. George Chaney

George Chaney Well-Known Member

I'm in agreement. In my humble opinion, the ring is old, and I will bet it is 1800's old. Knowing the karat gold could help, but if there are no gold markings on the inside of the band they were either sized away or were never present. Given the inscription placement, and the fact it appears to originate from somewhere in Europe, I would personally guess sized away not knowing what country of origin and what the gold marking practices were for the country. The button face and the hand engraved design is more consistent with pieces that are older than the 20th century - i.e. mid to late 1800's. But...that will all be speculative based upon what you see visually in the ring.

Value is subjective. Having bought enough, I would say $300 to $400.00 U.S. dollars retail if it tested out as gold and very easily more at auction with the right buyers/collectors. Stuff like this, if authentic period antiques, is not subject exclusively to the value of spot gold :)

11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

bog z nami = God with us in Polish or another eastern language.

Draft saved Draft deleted