Featured Antique Russian Cloisonne Cigarette Case (1907)

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by DBinSV, Apr 4, 2018.

1. DBinSV

DBinSV Active Member

I am passing along to my niece and nephew a number of items that have been in the family for several generations.

This antique cigarette case, approximately 3 x 4 inches, is in virtually flawless condition (probably because my grandfather, I am told, did not smoke cigarettes!).

The information I would like to pass along to my niece and nephew with this item, if possible, is: (1) what information do the stamps on the edge (see uploaded image) offer? and (2) for purposes of assisting with the homeowners insurance rider on what I will be sending over, what would be the best way to estimate the approximate value of this case?

Any input from the experts here would be most appreciated.

(I am posting this question here at the suggestion of a “well-known member,” confident in and thankful for her guidance.)

Case_Front.jpg
    Case_Inside.jpg
    Case_Initials.jpg
    Case_Back.jpg

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    Rec, stracci, 808 raver and 6 others like this.
  2. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

Please try to quickly go back to your post, go to edit, choose Full size for all photos. It would be a big help for everyone to see your pics. Thank you. :)

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME, DB!!! It looks like a beautiful case, although I can't help! Can you get a clear close-up of what's printed on the edge?? I think that would help! Also, since it looks like you just posted, if you would hit "Edit", go back in and the very top in the list of images, Please click on that one that says "Post Every image Full Size", which the program will then do!!! Much easier on older eyes, which members can then help you better!!!! And they WILL be along....if not tonight, then tomorrow for sure!!!:):):)

hamptonauction, Joshua Brown and judy like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!! SNIPED!!!!!!!!!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Need a better look at the mark. I'm not getting a sense of the face in the kokoshnik mark (the oval with the numbers). 88 indicates a silver purity of 916. There may be tiny initials on the right end of that oval that would indicate the assayer (not that I have those resources).

The other mark looks to me like it might be AK. All I can say is I don't find a probable match to any Faberge workmaster in my scant references, but there were plenty of fine gold and silversmiths in Russia besides those associated with Faberge.

6. DBinSV

DBinSV Active Member

Thank you for your kind interest in my query.

My apologies: I was not aware of the need to check an option to include the full-size images. I found that box and made the change.

I'm also uploading here a higher-resolution close-up of the engravers' marks. The "AK" (or whatever it is) is somewhat indistinct because that's the way it is on the actual piece. In other words, the engraver only really engraved the top part of the initials. Or maybe they represent something else?

Case_Initials_Close-Up.jpg

7. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

There is no engraving,just badly stamped touch marks.

Joshua Brown, judy and kyratango like this.
  8. DBinSV

DBinSV Active Member

I guess I used the wrong term, sorry.

Admittedly, I am not an expert in this area.

9. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

No problem,this is a worldwide community and I even need to do a web search at times to figure the meaning of terms from a different language and culture.

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

r those marks on the spring loaded open/close tab..?

these things are stronger than one might imagine and while gramps may not have smoked.....it's missing the fabric covered elastic to hold the ciggs in place....& they do tend to deteriorate ....from use !!

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is beautiful, DB.
    From what I can see it is a Moscow St. George and dragon mark with an 88 zolotnik mark. 88 zolotnik is 22k gold. The zolotnik mark was compulsory from 1882 onward.
    There is no national mark (kokoshnik mark), which was introduced in 1896. This leads me to believe the commemorative date on top was added later.
    The AK mark looks like the one for Moscow maker Antip Kuzmichev, who worked as a master goldsmith from 1856-1897.
    The style is very much that of Moscow, which emphasized traditional Russian motifs. Unlike for instance St. Petersburgh goldsmith Fabergé, who was more internationally influenced. This was always the difference between the two cities.
    Gold/silversmiths in both cities often employed Norwegian enamelers. Norway is still famous for its beautiful enamel. Whether the enameler of you beautiful case was Norwegian, we may never know.

So in my opinion, Moscow made, 22k gold, by Antip Kuzmichev between 1882 and 1896, the commemorative date a later but beautiful addition. Not unusual, and no problem there.

12. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Wow, good job Any Jewelry!:)
    Dan, 22 K! You have a treasure there, more commonly these are in gilt silver:woot:

13. Any Jewelry

Thanks kyra.:)
    I was wondering, maybe the corner details and the opening tab are silver (more exposed and vulnerable), what do you think?

stracci, judy and Joshua Brown like this.
  14. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

While 22 karat gold would be 88 zolotniks, that was not a Russian standard, so it wouldn't have been marked as such - it is, as already mentioned, a silver mark indicating .916 silver, and there should also be marks on the other side of the case since each separate piece should marked.

Russian silver is a very complicated field, and an area filled with fakes as well, so despite having a few good references, I don't really delve into it - might suggest posting your item in the Russian forum on the 925-1000 site, there are a number of knowledgeable posters who should be able to help.

Forums: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/index.php

Posting requirements: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10

How to add images (I use postimages.org, copying the 'Hotlink for forums' code): http://www.925-1000.com/images.html

~Cheryl

Lucille.b, Rec, Aquitaine and 5 others like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

But why is the mark in the gold and not the silver if it is a silvermark? The filigree also looks gold, and there doesn't seem to be any silver showing through suggesting gold-plated silver.
    Only the corner details and the opening tab look silver to me. A silvermark would be on one of those.
    I have seen 19th century Russian 88 zolotnik gold before, and it is also mentioned in a goldmark book.

stracci likes this.
  16. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

The entire piece would be silver-gilt, the only piece that might be gold would be the applied dates.

Again, not at all qualified on Russian silver, very few people are, but have seen enough 19th century 88 zolotnik silver to say that this is a silver mark. If you look on this page, the second post details the standards from the 1896 act, also mentioning the marks that would have been used on "gold of different English standards", including 22-carat: http://925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25511

Here is a spoon bearing similar marks with visible wear to the gilding: https://goldstreamboutique.com/prod...-enameled-demitasse-spoon?variant=15026561603

~Cheryl

kyratango likes this.
  17. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I know less than nothing admittedly,but doesnt it look just a little TOO perfect? I dont see very much wear,and something about the quality of the wire work just seems off. Why would the mark be so worn,yet the case have no wear? It is a beautiful thing and Id gladly sport it. :)

kyratango and judy like this.
  18. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Not being an expert on the silver marks, I'm most interested in what the dates and letters on the front signify. Do you know, @DBinSV ?

A quick search didn't bring anything up, but it could be identified, probably. It's a 25-year span.

19. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Need a crisper, closer look at the marks.

20. Any Jewelry

I think the first thing to do is have the metal tested by a reliable jeweler who can also test for gold plated.
    Russian items can be gold or silver gilt with silver details, even gold and silver gilt with silver, like this box:
    [​IMG]
    https://www.lempertz.com/en/catalog...tersburg-enamel-silver-gilt-and-gold-box.html
    They don't mention marks on each separate piece, and only show one set of marks. This is usually the case with the antique Russian gold I have seen. Maybe multiple, separate marking was required during a certain period, like after the introduction of a national mark.

I hardly have any experience with Russian silver, mostly gold. But to me antique Russian gold and silver marks look pretty much the same. It seems the important thing was to establish the zolotniki.
    A St Petersburg gold mark:
    [​IMG]
    http://romanovrussia.com/antique/antique-19th-century-carved-gold-armorial-signet-ring/

Here is a list of zolotnik gold standards, the spelling is German, but that doesn't really matter in this case. 88 zolotnik is in the second row:
    upload_2018-4-5_18-7-56.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted