Featured Antique Secretary Desk

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by SUSAN SKI, Apr 8, 2018.

1. SUSAN SKI

SUSAN SKI New Member

Just purchased this at a remote antique dealer in Maine - anyone have an idea how old it is??

Attached Files:

opoe, Aquitaine, judy and 1 other person like this.
  2. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I’m not furniture-smart but I’d guess it is Empire or Regency, early 19th C., lots of nice walnut veneer, in excellent condition for its age. Or a later revival of those. Very attractive piece in any case. The real furniture experts will be around later.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    Aquitaine and judy like this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Oh what a lovely piece ! Id guess 1830s-40s,but wait for Brad to chime in,hes much better at dating than I am. Did you get the stuff in it too? :)

Aquitaine and judy like this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think the 1830s-40s date is about right. This is a transitional so-called Empire (Pillar and Scroll) piece, as the top looks to be more Federal in inspiration. Thought it might be a marriage but the size, knobs, and wood match up so well. The wood is a mahogany veneer rather than walnut.

5. SUSAN SKI

SUSAN SKI New Member

Thanks for your input!!

Aquitaine likes this.
  6. SUSAN SKI

SUSAN SKI New Member

Wondering if you know what the material is on the desktop, original or redone?

Attached Files:

7. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

That stuff was sloppily applied by some previous owner, probably glued down, check with experts before trying to remove it. Looks like cloth with printed paper top but I dunno 4 sure what correct name is.

James Conrad and Aquitaine like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Could be a leather......could be like an oil cloth???

James Conrad likes this.
  9. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Nice piece but that piece of material needs replaced. Looks like the brass(?) hinge is also a replacement. Can not see well the other side. Looks like the veneer broke off. Mine had the hinges under the veneer. A nice piece of thin velvet or billiard table material would look great on it. It is a very nice piece of furniture, shame the prices on these have dropped.
    greg

James Conrad likes this.
  10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Material inside is not original.

12. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yeah, agree on date, mid 19th century, late Classical often misnamed Empire. Desk-bookcase in mahogany veneer, it does look like leather on writing surface, hard to tell with that pic.
    Baize (woven wool cloth, looks like felt but isn't) or leather is traditional writing surface, not a big deal to replace.
    a google page of similar pieces
    https://www.google.com/search?q=lat...7FMKHf-9BF8Q_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=949#imgrc=_

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    Aquitaine likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted