Antique small Mahogany winged table identification

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Mike Fleck, Dec 8, 2022.

1. Mike Fleck

Mike Fleck New Member

Hello,
    My Father and Aunt had been doing some ancestry documentation and I have a small winged table which my Father and Aunt say is written into the will of my grandfather of many generations back from former to latter. The table is described as "a certain ancient small table, an heirloom in my family". This was in 1896. I know it has been refinished at some point and I am not interested in value or collectability. I am looking for information regarding approximate age of piece and if it falls within a certain build style. Thanks for your time.
    Compress_20221208_093219_9525.jpg Compress_20221208_093220_0695.jpg Compress_20221208_093223_3507.jpg Compress_20221208_093232_2569.jpg Compress_20221208_093237_7522.jpg 415988-04772c87ed65af638e93311363f043f3.jpg Compress_20221208_093246_6087.jpg Compress_20221208_093251_1383.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
  2. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

Cannot tell very much from your photos. Can you take some as if you were shooting your coffee table? Would like to see a full on shot.

kyratango and johnnycb09 like this.
  3. Mike Fleck

Mike Fleck New Member

20221208_064653.jpg
    Thanks for having a look.

4. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

This is called a Pembroke table. Looks authentic American from the first half of the 19th century (approx 1800 to 1840). In good shape and looks complete except small losses to feet. Your pictures are much better than most in what you took pics of (very happy to see the UNDERSIDE which is almost never shown) though a little hard to see. If you have more items to show, maybe improve lighting or take outside, but absolutely show the same views you’ve shown here.

5. Mike Fleck

Mike Fleck New Member

Thanks I will take some better pictures

judy and kyratango like this.
  6. Jeff Drum

Wouldn’t hurt, but it’s pretty clear what you have. One thing unclear to me pics could help with is whether this is mahogany or walnut.

Figtree3, judy and kyratango like this.
  7. Mike Fleck

Mike Fleck New Member

It is mahogany and the wings are quartersawn.
    Here are some better pictures. After reading a bit is there potential that it is derived from or is "Hepplewhite" construction? I think I understand "Hepplewhite" to be a style of building but am ignorant to these things and learning. Like the maker name refers to the the style not necessarily the maker or shop.
    top.jpg screwAndPocket.jpg tableUnderside.jpg spadeFoot.jpg knuckleJoint.jpg underLeaf.jpg

Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
    Figtree3, judy and kyratango like this.
  8. Jeff Drum

Short version is that there were three English cabinet makers who also published books of furniture designs in the late 1700s, Chippendale, Hepplewhite, and Sheraton. Original furniture from any of these cabinet makers is extremely rare and valuable - and made and found in England. But their names are also given to furniture made based on their style books. These designs also became popular in the US, but here their designs were Americanized and simplified, and it took some time for the fashions to come to the US from England after the books were published (Hepplewhite in 1788).

It would be correct to call your table Hepplewhite style or Federal style (the US term that is more in use these days). That said, the reason your table is early to mid 1800’s and not before, is mainly the serpentine shape of the top, not used on earlier tables.

I can’t see wood grain enough to see whether quartersawn, but quartersawing mahogany mostly just gives straight even grain (not like quartersawn oak). It also looks like the table top has been badly stained (embedded rust?) which may be why it was refinished in an attempt to remove stains.

p.s. Pembroke table refers to the size and drop leaves, and Pembroke tables can be in designs of any of the designers named.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
  9. Mike Fleck

Mike Fleck New Member

Thanks very much for the information. I posted a thanks yesterday but I guess I wasnt logged in or something. Funny, I have just always brought that table with me whenever my family moved not knowing how old it was. We just threw it in the car with everything else.

judy and kyratango like this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

silverbell and Mike Fleck like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted