Featured ANTIQUE SPOON

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by steve richards, Jul 30, 2022.

1. steve richards

steve richards Well-Known Member

These 2 antique silver spoons are about 5 inch long and each weigh about 19 gms.
    They are marked 800 in the bowl. That makes them 800 silver.Other than that there is nothing else I know about them.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks A5.jpg a1.jpg a2.jpg a3.jpg a4.jpg a6.jpg a7.jpg a8.jpg

Attached Files:

• a1.jpg
      a1.jpg
      File size:
      59.5 KB
      Views:
    • a2.jpg
      a2.jpg
      File size:
      87.1 KB
      Views:
  2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

1950s Italy

Part of a set of 5 or 6

Fairly likely not .800 silver but may be

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  3. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

6. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

So are you saying they are fraudulently marked as.800? How dare you!!!! J/k I’ve long suspected some European (probably mostly Italian) souvenir spoons with marks on the bowl (mostly .800) may not be silver. Or that the bowl may be silver but that the rest of spoon may not be. Possibly a sneaky technicality loophole with the mark being on the bowl exclusively and not the neck or handle of the spoon. Interested to hear your thoughts.

7. J Dagger

I’ve always liked those but never knew anything about them. Thanks for the link. Very interesting building, art, and history. I just finished watching a Netflix series on the Medici. Highly recommended for anyone here. It’s not the greatest historical drama ever but I really enjoyed it.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

What is the name of the show, Dagger?

J Dagger likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

bobsyouruncle and J Dagger like this.
  10. J Dagger

If you just search for Medici you’ll find it. I think each season may have a slightly different name. There are three seasons. Dustin Hoffman has a small but important role in the first season. Not his finest work but it’s Hoffman so that’s cool. I found it to be incredibly entertaining and pretty informative. I don’t really binge television but I finished it quicker than I finish most things.

11. J Dagger

Bakersgma and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Yes, that's the one I watched on Belgian TV.:)

J Dagger likes this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Probably did. The style is very Italian, although it is an international co-production. It was perfect late night watching for me.

J Dagger likes this.
  14. J Dagger

Very high production value at that. The sets and cinematography are beautiful. The acting is pretty good for the most part. I wasn’t sure what to expect when I started watching foreign television series on Netflix as far as production value. I’ve been very pleasantly surprised with what I’ve seen so far.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

The costumes and jewellery too. And I loved the long rides through the beautiful Tuscan countryside.
    I think they don't just buy any series.;) Besides, many European series are pretty high standard, so they have a lot to chose from.

16. J Dagger

Absolutely! I noted both of your observa to ons as well. I always thought that being a set designer would be a fun job. It started from seeing teenagers rooms in American coming of age movies when I was teen and has progressed. Although you obviously have to be well researched and educated when it comes to period pieces. I’d best stick with teenagers rooms from what now would have to be 1990’s period pieces.

17. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Thanks, Digger!! I need a new go-to show!

J Dagger likes this.
  18. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

These can be a bit difficult to date because Italian souvenir spoons of this type, whether fully cast like these, or just the handles cast, were produced from the late 19th century and for decades into the 20th century, there were also low quality silverplated cast brass spoons, common mid 20th century souvenirs. Don't believe there's really a reason to doubt these spoons are .800 silver, some of the earlier spoons even bear no marks at all - I've had a couple XRF tested and they were almost right at .800 fineness.

The Della Robbia swaddled Christ-child has already been identified, the first spoon is topped with the Perugia crowned griffin, I don't recognize the other one (frankly, looks like resting chimpanzee dressed as a centurion to me, but pretty sure I'm wrong)...

~Cheryl

Any Jewelry, J Dagger and Bakersgma like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

I've seen the 'centurion chimp';) before, but can't remember where, or what it is. A statue on a facade or on a fountain?

Draft saved Draft deleted