Featured Antique staffordshire spill holder or not so much

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by charlie cheswick, Oct 18, 2017.

1. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

I found this today, didn't know what it was but research leads to the above title. Do you reckon it's genuine or a Chinese fakeroo

Thanks
    jos3s_resize_20171018_193333.jpg jos8s_resize_20171018_193333.jpg jos7s_resize_20171018_193333.jpg joss6s_resize_20171018_193334.jpg

Aquitaine, Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Im thinking fake,but cute.The overall crazing usually says Chinese.

kyratango and Ghopper1924 like this.
  3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hmmm - I'm on the fence. Chinese reproductions usually have big holes in the bottom. I'm sure some of our friends across the pond will be able to provide more info. Wherever it came from, it's very cute.
    Don

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  4. charlie cheswick

Yeah, good point about the base Don, the fake ones I've seen are like that, hope fully someone knows their staffordshire ware well enough to tell

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

So hard to tell from photos. I kind of agree with Don and the uniform crazing is also usually a repro indication.

6. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I'm no expert, but the crazing doesn't bode well.

kyratango, Aquitaine and judy like this.
  7. charlie cheswick

kyratango and judy like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hmmmm.....that site reads like a fairly decent lesson.....to me anyway!!! In just looking.....your item IS adorable....but has LOTS of fairly even crazing. BUT no "oriental influence" on the dog or birds ( :joyful::smuggrin: ), but looks like there might be some scratching on the bottom? Can't tell if it's porcelain or pottery? So probably doesn't feel chalky on the bottom? I think it read...if authentic you should (?) see seam lines?? The figures also don't look WELL defined to me.....think I'll go with fake....JMHO.....and I'm learning here, mind you!!!!

LIbraryLady likes this.
  9. charlie cheswick

Yeah me too, If it wasn't for the Chinese making replicas, I wouldn't have learnt about staffordshire pottery !!

LIbraryLady and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted