Antique Stained Glass Window

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by GaleriaGila, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

We had two windows in our house that had beautiful, cut to clear red center panels with vine & leaf and floral design. First, the guy remodeling the bathroom broke one then my husband moving a piece of furniture broke the one in the stairway. Now they're just plain red glass. :(

I have the pieces. There has to be a product that you can get that would bond the pieces back together. Even with cracks they'd be beautiful.

GaleriaGila and KingofThings like this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

There is UV activated glue for glass. This may work.

GaleriaGila likes this.
  3. Bev aka thelmasstuff

We have a local stained glass place, but the owners are up there in years. I took it in and all he said was I could come take a class and make a new piece to fit. That wasn't what I wanted.

GaleriaGila and KingofThings like this.
  4. KingofThings

Try a window glass shop. I have bought this glue at Lowe's. I patched a cracked huge glass storefront window with an overlay of thicker glass. All I did was cover the window with a dark blanket until I was ready to have it cure. Still attached after 5 years or so.

5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

We don't have a Lowe's nearby, but I'll look for the glue. Maybe Cape & Islands Glass has it. They do everything from cars to shower doors to mirrors.

KingofThings and GaleriaGila like this.
  6. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Just invite Milt over... he can fix anything, I hear!

7. KingofThings

Indeed. ;)

GaleriaGila likes this.
  8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I had wonderful success with a cracked window just using Crazy glue. Capillary action will fill the crack and any left on the glass can be razored off. It at least holds it together so it doesn't shake and cause worse cracking.
    greg

KingofThings and GaleriaGila like this.
  9. KingofThings

I think the UV glue completely disappears in case you get any where you don't want it seen.

GaleriaGila likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted