Antique stand type table help on age and style

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by annea, Jan 19, 2020.

1. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yes, One Board Top, Very nice

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  2. annea

annea Member

3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

@annea , if you do refinish it and remember to do so, please show an "after" picture. Thanks!

James Conrad and i need help like this.
  4. James Conrad

Agrees, would be nice to see your Sheraton stand with a restored finish.
    Please go EASY on the sandpaper or don't use it at all is even better!
    Your stand is 150 years old, any patina ( oxidation of the surface of the wood caused mainly sunlight & air) on the cherry is literally skin deep and very easily removed if you sand the piece.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    Figtree3 likes this.
  5. annea

annea Member

Well here is my restoration on the piece, for better or worse. it really made me appreciate what a sturdy and well built piece it is, after working on it this past week, and thinking how long it has lasted compared to most of the cheap furniture made now.

Attached Files:

cxgirl and James Conrad like this.
  6. James Conrad

Very nice, well done!

7. annea

annea Member

8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Looks good -- I hope you enjoy it!

9. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

Great job. Got rid of all those rings. What finish did you use and what will you do with it.

10. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Beautiful job!

James Conrad likes this.
  11. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

"...compared to most of the cheap furniture made now."

You just spoke a mouthful!!!!!

12. annea

annea Member

Thank you everyone for the kind comments on the stand. I ended up sanding it down by hand (150 to 400 grit paper) and then using an orbital sander on the top only, to try and remove all of the water rings = a dozen or so. Still a couple of faint ones showing a bit. I then coated it with 5 coats of thinned down amber shellac, sanding with 400 grit paper between last 3 layers and added a little dry wood dye = venetian red to the last 3 layers also. Final light buff with dry 0000 steel wool to dull down the shiny shellac look, and then wiped with tacky cloth to remove the little bit of dust and steel wool fragments.

We have three other antique table stands that we use around the house and this one is pretty huge looking compared to all of them. About 1/3 bigger yet I would say. I have not seen any others this big in looking at other ones over the past few years at antique places. Would it have had any slightly different use I wonder with the size of it? I do like all the table top space, and big deep drawer of it, in being this large though.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted