Featured Antique Swiss travel clock. How do I open the back?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Lucille.b, Nov 13, 2021.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Got this cool looking vintage or antique clock for resale. I see the back has a hinge, but cannot see an easy way to open it. Any suggestions on how to do this??

I'm terrified to even try turning the knob on the bottom less I break something. Kind of thinking this isn't working, but who knows. Would the knob be the winding mechanism when set in and turn the handles when pulled?

Thanks for taking a look and let me know how to open the back if anyone has thoughts.

trav1.jpg

trav1b.jpg

trav1r.jpg

2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Its an 8 day movement, just wind it like a mechanical watch and to change the time pull it out further and turn.

Gus Tuason, judy and Bronwen like this.
  3. Lucille.b

The knob seems to resist any movement like that. I think I'll hold off and just sell for repair.

However, any thoughts on getting the back to open? I think there might be a name possibly written inside and some of these (even for repair) travel clocks seem to sell, esp if connected with certain makers.

I tried getting my fingernail to pop it on the edge, but there is no way to get leverage. No small recessed area or anything. I feel like I'm missing something...

bobsyouruncle, judy and Bronwen like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

A jeweller who also works with watches will have the right little tool to prise open the back. It may be over wound now.

judy, komokwa and Lucille.b like this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I doubt that you are missing anything, just need a very thin wedge to pop it opposite the hinge, but if in doubt, best to get a jeweler to do it for you. You don't want to end up scratching the case.

Very nice dial.

Bronwen, judy, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

7C39F124-0129-4EA9-8CBC-E358B57D1C8B.jpeg I wonder if pressing here does anything?

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Lucille.b, look closely where I've circled.....this END of the hinge doesn't look like the OTHER end from what I can see....I wonder if you carefully see if maybe it can be pushed in where it looks like it can....it might release the back for you???? JUST a thought....that no-one else has mentioned YET!!!
    BTW, COOL looking little clock!!!!!!!!!!

trav1r-EDIT.jpg

Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
    Msalicia, Bronwen, judy and 2 others like this.
  8. Lucille.b

Thank you for all of these suggestions. No luck, I didn't press anything to hard, just not wanted to break it, but didn't get anywhere.

There used to be a clock guy in town, but pretty sure the shop closed a few years ago.

I think it might be a bit stuck. Ideally would be a friendly jeweler who had seen an antique travel clock like this or it might need a certain tool, but would be great if whoever opens it had worked on similar.

Thanks! :)

Bronwen, bercrystal and i need help like this.
  9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's very nice!

Bronwen, Lucille.b and judy like this.
  11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

According to afantiques: "The usual cause of simply not running in something that may have been unused for decades is gummed up oil on the mainspring."

The clock likely needs no more than a cleaning of the works.

Bronwen, Gus Tuason and Lucille.b like this.
  12. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

Suggest you treat it like a pocket watch and just push down (toward the main body of the watch) on the winding stem (knurled knob). Case should pop open. It may be fully wound which would make the winding of the knurled knob counter-clockwise to a stop. To set, pull the knurled know out (away from from the main body) then twist he knob to set. Do not "pry" open the case. If none of this works take it to a watchman. Nice clock. My guess is 1930's or 40's.

Bronwen, Aquitaine, Lucille.b and 2 others like this.
  13. Lucille.b

Thank you for that suggestion. I tried pushing like a pocket watch but the knob seems fixed at the base. Only the turning mechanism works. But excellent suggestion to try.

If I can't easily find a jeweler who would take a look I may just sell as is and let the buyer deal with it. I'd feel best if someone who knew clocks/watches wanted a project. Might be easy with the right tools.

Thanks!

bercrystal and Bronwen like this.
  14. komokwa

it's just the hinge...

BoudiccaJones and Bronwen like this.
  15. komokwa

now...darlin....I wouldn't sell it yet without getting a look see into the mechanism...:wideyed::woot::woot:

Draft saved Draft deleted